How to practice CR when already thin?

Guest Caitlin

Guest Caitlin

Long story short, about four years ago I started practicing CR. It was the best I ever felt cognitively, especially since I have untreated ADHD. My ability to think and focus improved dramatically . Over about two years I went from 130 lbs to 115, then eventually stabilized at 118-120. This is my natural homeostatic weight when I don't overeat toxic sludge. Now I'm a grad student and my lectures and schedule are really chaotic feeling and it is hard to focus. I would like to use my same strategy as before, but I don't have an extra 10 lbs to metabolize. Sorry if this gets asked frequently (I'm new and wasn't sure where to look), but how do you practice CR without losing too much weight (but still conferring the cognitive benefits)? I was considering keto, but I thought I would ask you guys and see how to learn what the best way to do this is. Thanks!

Caitlin,

First, welcome!

Now, as to your question: It's in the nature of CR -- that it's a restriction of energy intake -- that, everything else being equal (activity levels, etc.), it will be difficult to practice CR without weight loss.

Intermittent fasting might be a solution, but it's not clear to me from the research that intermittent fasting works if there isn't also a reduction in calories, which means you'd be back to square one.

A lot of people I respect swear by ketogenesis, but it remains mostly uninvestigated.

Brian

Archived