What a Great Conference!

Paul McGlothin

What a great conference!

Thanks to David, Robert, Meredith, and so many of you who helped make the conference such an enriching experience. It was great to see so many friends we have known for years and have a chance to really catch up.

David took great care in making all the arrangements at the Buck and the hotel perfect for CR folk. And Robert created such a good line-up of speakers. Every one of them had ideas that I wrote down to commit to memory.

Consider the presentation on cellular senescence by Remi-Martin Laberge. Remi and his colleagues have found that cortisol and corticosterone suppress the proinflammatory effects of senescent cells. So the next time you worry about the way CR raises cortisol levels, think of Remi’s findings.

Another provocative comment came from Don Ingram, who reported a study showing that seniors who gain one pound a year for every year since high school graduation, live longer than those who lose weight. Is such a concept incompatible with calorie restriction? I personally don‘t think so.

Another series of conversations resulted from Joseph Dhahbi’s presentation on utilization of deep sequencing. Dr. Dhahbi has always been on the cutting edge. And his plans for deep sequencing of genes from human CR subjects’ blood is underway.

One focus in Dr. Dhahbi’s research is on DNA methylation. This was very influential in my presentations when I discussed methylation patterns, CR, and emotions. Those interested in the topic can find more here from the Society poster par excellence, Al Pater here: http://arc.crsociety...0124#msg-210124

And here:

Epigenetic regulation of caloric restriction in aging/ Review

BMC Medicine 2011 Aug 25;9:98. doi: 10.1186/1741-7015-9-98

Yuanyuan Li, Michael Daniel and Trygve O Tollefsbol

Dept of Biology, U. of Alabama at Birmingham, 1300 University Boulevard, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA

The electronic version of this article is the complete one and can be found online at: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/9/98

© 2011 Li et al; licensee BioMed Central Ltd.

PMID: 21867551. NIH, NLM, PubMed access to MEDLINE citations.

PMCID: PMC3175174

Free PMC Article

This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract

The molecular mechanisms of aging are the subject of much research and have facilitated potential interventions to delay aging and aging-related degenerative diseases in humans. The aging process is frequently affected by environmental factors, and caloric restriction is by far the most effective and established environmental manipulation for extending lifespan in various animal models. However, the precise mechanisms by which caloric restriction affects lifespan are still not clear.

Epigenetic mechanisms have recently been recognized as major contributors to nutrition-related longevity and aging control. Two primary epigenetic codes – DNA methylation and histone modification – are believed to influence chromatin structure dynamically, resulting in expression changes of relevant genes. In this review, we assess the current advances in epigenetic regulation in response to caloric restriction and how this affects cellular senescence, aging and potential extension of a healthy lifespan in humans. Enhanced understanding of the important role of epigenetics in the control of the aging process through caloric restriction may lead to clinical advances in the prevention and therapy of human aging-associated diseases.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Paul,

Thanks for the note and highlights from the conference. I'm still digesting everything I learned, and I know others are as well. I will be seeing some of the same researchers at SENS6 next month, so perhaps I'll get a chance to ask some follow-up questions, of which I have many.

Best,

Brian

• 1 year later...

Archived