Transitioning from alternate day fasting to CRON

Valerius

Hi, everyone.

I started alternate day fasting in October to lose weight, and since then from a start of 115kg (253lb) have lost around 17kg (37lb). I still have more weight to lose, but since I discovered that I was able to reasonably comfortably restrict my food intake I began paying more attention to nutrition and started thinking more seriously about CRON.

I have just this week stopped fasting and have been using the CRON-O-Meter to attempt to optimise my nutritional intake. What I am finding, however, is that in eating for nutrition I'm really not hungry and have only been eating around 1500 kcal per day.

I am concerned, however, by the mice study suggesting that sudden onset caloric restriction shortened rather than extended lifespans. My concern is that, in effect, when I started on alternate day fasting I imposed sudden onset caloric restriction on myself but without the optimal nutrition, which is obviously against the recommendation to ease into CRON.

I'd appreciate people's thoughts on how I might mitigate any negative effects of that rapid onset calorie restriction, bearing in mind that I'm still overweight but now eating a heavily plant based diet and achieving close to 100% of nutritional targets.

Hi, everyone.

I started alternate day fasting in October to lose weight, and since then from a start of 115kg (253lb) have lost around 17kg (37lb). I still have more weight to lose, but since I discovered that I was able to reasonably comfortably restrict my food intake I began paying more attention to nutrition and started thinking more seriously about CRON.

I have just this week stopped fasting and have been using the CRON-O-Meter to attempt to optimise my nutritional intake. What I am finding, however, is that in eating for nutrition I'm really not hungry and have only been eating around 1500 kcal per day.

I am concerned, however, by the mice study suggesting that sudden onset caloric restriction shortened rather than extended lifespans. My concern is that, in effect, when I started on alternate day fasting I imposed sudden onset caloric restriction on myself but without the optimal nutrition, which is obviously against the recommendation to ease into CRON.

I'd appreciate people's thoughts on how I might mitigate any negative effects of that rapid onset calorie restriction, bearing in mind that I'm still overweight but now eating a heavily plant based diet and achieving close to 100% of nutritional targets.

Being overweight (BMI >25) would be a greater risk to lifespan.

The Okinawans have the some of the longest lifespans and their BMIs were 18-22 throughout their lives.

It's good to hear you have adopted a similar diet to them.

If you're worried about it, have blood tests done to see if your deficient in anything.

Archived