CR vs. ADF - does it make a change?

Guest Caroline

Guest Caroline

Hello, erveryone,

thanks to this nice talk by Paul McGlothin on youtube I've landed here and wonder if you guys can help me with this question:

I'm doing alternate day fasting since a year now, this program is getting more and mor popular in Austria and is called "10in2". It means fasting for a complete day an two nights (=36 hrs) followed by a 12 hrs feeding period (with no clear limits on caloric input).

I like this program very much and discovered that it has changed much more than just my body weight: I became more and more interested in "real" food, started to enhance my "green input" by adding "green Smoothies" and other forms of less processed preparations in my diet and improved diet and daily exercise. I've reduced sugar input and erased processed foods from my shopping list so I guess, I'm on a good way.

Now I wonder if this ADF-program is comparable to CR - is CR limited to daily reduced caloric input or does the average input counts as well?

At www.10in2.at it is mentioned that this form of intermittend fasting helps to keep up the energy expenditure so weight loss can go on...which is most certainly different in daily restricted consumption, I guess.

Thanks for your response!

Caro

Hi Caroline. The major principles of CRON are reducing calories and optimizing nutrition. From what you've said it seems that you are achieving both of these. Within reason, calorie and nutrient intakes averaged over time are more important than assessing them on a daily basis.

You're doing just fine if your average intake over 2-3 days achieves your calorie and nutrient goals. There is quite a bit on various fasting and limited feeding regimens, including ADF, that support its use as a means of achieving CR. Additionally, many established members of the CR Society have successfully implemented various forms of fasting for long periods of time and have had results similar to those who focus more on daily restriction and assessment.

James

Guest Caroline

Thanks for your reply - since I'm having trouble to limit my daily consumption to live a "daily" form of CR I feel much more comfortable with this way of intermitend fasting. I'm glad to learn that it should be still beneficial.

Thanks for your link...I'll check this ressource!

Caro

Archived