organic when possible

paulgfoster

Hi I have been an intermittent cron practitioner, however my circumstances have changed and now I am able to practice more seriously and with a vengeance. This time around I still have questions do most cronies eat organic? Having tried to grow my own fruit and veggies in Australia I realise without pesticides every creature there is seemed to attack my produce. I know there are a lot of pesticides used to combat fruit fly alone. So this time around I have gone organic but like all labels organic doesn't necessarily mean healthy.

The organic yoghurts available here are often either high fat or high sugar or both and organic cheeses tend to be high fat.

It all gets rather complicated and is of course more expensive.

Because I do not eat meat chicken eggs or even fish other than rarely I like a little cheese and yoghurt for my calcium.

I am mixing a non organic no fat yoghurt with a higher fat sugar organic yoghurt for breakfast. For my evening meal I include 50mg full fat organic cheese. I do not like the taste of low fat alternatives.

Does anyone think this is too much saturated fat taking into account I don't eat meat or eggs or fish?

My daily calories are 1800 and my menu is like this.

Breakfast Yoghurt and papaya and banana.

Lunch. Usually organic rice crackers with avocado and chilli sauce. Afternoon snack almonds sultanas and a brazil nut. Also 6gm raw dark chocolate some plums or fruit and a 180mls glass red wine.

Evening meal a 250 gm salad kale spinach toms cucumber corn beans onion beets and carrot.With an evoo and apple cider vinegar dressing. A couple of olives some kim chi and my 50 gms cheese.

My protein intake is only around 50gms or 10% and fats 34% and 70gms carbs 50% and alcohol 7%.

Any help or suggestions most welcome. Lastly cron not to live longer but more healthier and also to avoid polypharmacy of old age.

Incidentally I take 500mg krill oil and alt day vit D and multi b......Multi b for my b12 and to lower homocysteine as mother has alzheimers and I am hoping not to follow in her footsteps Paul

Ps I know its a personal thing but I wonder if my large glass of red wine a day is too large? it does use up 140 calories with little nutrition but again its one of my few pleasures.

Hi Paul!

The lack of a quick response to your question about organic food probably means that no one knows! But I'd hazard a guess that there are more CR practitioners eating organic food than non-practitioners. Myself, I try to avoid particularly heavily sprayed produce (berries, potatoes, non-greenhouse bell peppers, etc. -- google the topic for a complete list).

Does anyone think this is too much saturated fat taking into account I don't eat meat or eggs or fish?

It's so individual, I'd say do some experiments, get tested, and see how your biomarkers change!

Ps I know its a personal thing but I wonder if my large glass of red wine a day is too large? it does use up 140 calories with little nutrition but again its one of my few pleasures.

Pleasure is good! The risk is low, as long as you're not an APOE-epsilon-4 carrier.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shelby

I generally attempt to eat organic but its relatively easy in Northern Illinois. I grow a large garden and use a lot of hay and wood chips to put inbetween plants which eliminates most weeds. I also just water the plants with a can vs using a sprinkler so only the area around the plant gets moist. A lot of moisture attracts more bugs in my experience. Chickens also help to get rid of bugs but can be annoying when planting seeds. We also use vanilla to scare away the gnats. Its safe and organic :) I do eat meat but only wild deer and our own organic rabbit meat. I tend to feel better eating only organic but I don't know if it's just because of a mental thing or actual benefits. I would like to try raw milk products as well but its illegal in Illinois. I've interested to hear other people's perspective as well!

Guest Shelby

Oh and I have a mixed drink almost every night to relax. Yes its extra empty calories but I figure everyone needs a vice :)

Archived