Which book/other contains most/best CR vegan recipes?

Shiyin

Hello. I'm trying to get seriously started with CRON after years of procrastination & dabbling. I've been vegan for about 10 years (for ethical rather than health reasons). I've been looking online for recipes and haven't found much.

If I can only buy 1 book, which should it be? I don't need convincing of the benefits of CRON. I mostly need recipes. I've often been enjoying varieties of coleslaw salad lately, but I need more variety of satisfying meal ideas. Which of the books in the CR Society Store contains the most/best vegan recipes?

This forum seems very quiet and empty. It looks as though my post may not be answered. Please answer rather than just view - your input would be greatly valued and help others' lives.

It would be nice to also see some recipes/meal ideas posted here, or maybe web links. It's summer where I am, and my home garden soon promises much zucchini and tomatoes, hopefully some nice green leafy also.

Thank you for sharing, and I wish strength to your resolve for healthful diet!

• 1 month later...

Hi Shiyin. There is no vegan cookbook specific to CRON that I know of. In fact, you probably won't find much in the way of CRON specific cookbooks at all. There are plenty of diet/low-calorie recipe books out there, but those are generally focused on CR and not ON, though generally the foods used to feel full on CR tend to contribute much to ON, so it all sort of works out. The most difficult hurdle with CRON-specific recipes is that there are many approaches to CRON so there it's hard to compile recipes in any cohesive fashion, except to say that they are CR and they may or not fit with your ON depending on the rest of your diet. Some people eat a few calorie-dense foods and then fill up on veggies to even out the ON, and others eat moderately CR and ON foods at each meal. Then everyone has their preferred macronutrient ratios and meal frequency/sizes, so a recipe book would at best be a random collection of recipes approved by one or more members. Perhaps I've got this all wrong, but this is my conclusion after considering a CRON-friendly recipe compilation. Of course there are a few very popular staple recipes, but not nearly enough for a book.

Either way, it surprises me that you haven't found websites with compatible vegan recipes! There are a ton of great vegan or can-be-made-vegan recipe sites, and by virtue of being vegan (and often gluten, grain, soy, and/or sugar-free) many of the recipes are fairly nutrient dense with relatively full flavor while not having much to add calories. I'd suggest taking a few recipes that you like and modifying them to suit your current CRON needs. I've done this with a few recipes such that I have 500-1000 calorie versions of the same dish, with more of less of certain ingredients added to the core ingredients to get what I'd like. After a while it becomes somewhat intuitive, but I do check in with Cron-O-Meter to see what I'm actually eating every so often.

• 10 months later...

Hello. I'm trying to get seriously started with CRON after years of procrastination & dabbling. I've been vegan for about 10 years (for ethical rather than health reasons). I've been looking online for recipes and haven't found much.

If I can only buy 1 book, which should it be? I don't need convincing of the benefits of CRON. I mostly need recipes. I've often been enjoying varieties of coleslaw salad lately, but I need more variety of satisfying meal ideas. Which of the books in the CR Society Store contains the most/best vegan recipes?

This forum seems very quiet and empty. It looks as though my post may not be answered. Please answer rather than just view - your input would be greatly valued and help others' lives.

It would be nice to also see some recipes/meal ideas posted here, or maybe web links. It's summer where I am, and my home garden soon promises much zucchini and tomatoes, hopefully some nice green leafy also.

Thank you for sharing, and I wish strength to your resolve for healthful diet!

Hi! You posted this a year ago, so I'm not sure you're still following the post. But I agree, the forum seems quite quiet, and I thought joining CR Society would be a little more...info I couldn't get otherwise. Nevertheless ;-)

I am vegan also, and CRON is easy vegan, I think. I have been eating oatmeal or beans in the mornings, sometimes with a bit of fruit, then I snack on raw veggies during the day with a small amount of nuts or seeds. At night I'll have a salad, and/or I throw a bunch of veggies (mostly frozen ones) in a pot with water or tomato sauce, and spices, and make a soup. The water content makes it more filling and it takes longer to eat. Often I put lentils or sweet potato in there with the veggies as well. This has been working for me for about a month, very simple, with occasional higher calorie vegan meals when dining with family or friends. And sometimes a protein shake. And a bit of chocolate here and there.

Let me know if you've found any good books or websites of vegan CRON recipes.

• 5 months later...
Guest Shelby

I know this is an old post but I like to steam cauliflower and broccoli (1 1/2 cups each) and mash it like potatoes. I then top it off with grilled onions, mushrooms, salt, pepper and garlic. I am not a vegan so I normally top it off with canned venison but I've substituted black beans many times and it's just as delicious. It's very filling but you can mess with the amounts if you like lighter meals! Mine comes out to around 200 calories.

Another favorite of mine that I used to do when I was a vegan (for about 7 years) is firm tofu blended with a little cracked red pepper humus,salsa, salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste (microwaved) over either steamed spinach or asparagus. This is also under 200 cals but can be made into a sandwich for more cals.

I would love to hear other individual's favorite recipes. I also have a lot more quirky low cal high, nutrient recipes if anyone is interested. I love cooking healthy!

• 1 year later...

I'm also new to CR but the best book I have is The CR Way. I got it at Half.com. Nearly half (no pun) of the book is recipes!! It's where I learned of Burdock root tea. My husband and I love loose tea with some ginger root and a lemon wedge. He prefers dandelion leaf tea and there are a lot of Web sites that sell loose teas.

Archived