Testosterone Replacement and CR

Guest Steve

Guest Steve

I love calorie restriction. I love the way I look and I feel. The only problem is my complete loss of testosterone. I see and feel the effects of it and it made me quit doing CR... unfortunately I think after years of CR and marathon running I have permanently depressed my bodies natural ability to produce testosterone...my levels have dropped so low that I now qualify for bi- weekly steroid injection and regular use of a testosterone gel...I'd like to know if anyone else is doing CR while also receiving hormone replacement therapy....any opinions, thoughts, or research on the subject would be appreciated. Thank you.

The Chinese kept remarkable records over the centuries. I remember a study posted by Al Pater quite some years ago regarding marked longevity of Chinese eunuchs. The gist was that loss of testosterone was the secret to their longer lifespan...but of course, those Chinese who still possessed their testicles were busy outside slaying each other with swords and arrows so I can't say the study has any value.

Personally, I do not like hormone replacement therapies. It goes against the grain of what the body is trying to do, IMO. With your probable low weight, your body is working on the maintenance and repair end while shifting from reproduction. Sounds too much like throwing a monkey wrench in the works to me. Aside from that, regarding the pursuit of sex partners, I am 65 YO now and I look back on my life wondering what in the hell I was thinking all those years. All that time, energy and money wasted.

My advice is to gain weight until your libido returns then run out and get married. After that your sex life is over anyway so you can return to CR. :)

Hi Steve,

I agree with Bob about the risks of hormone-replacement. It might undo the effects of CR. To the best of my knowledge, no studies have looked at testosterone-replacement in CR lab animals or humans though, so we don't know. It would be interesting to try it and see how other biomarkers of CR are affected (even just the simple ones: BP, fasting glucose, etc. -- though that would only give a partial picture of the effect of the supplemental testosterone).

Best,

Brian

We see that biomarkers are still pretty good (other than T and related hormones) in CR members with both low,normal and high T readings. If the low T is affecting your life negatively, then I'd say go ahead with bringing it up to a low-normal level and do CR at the same time to help mitigate the supposed cancer risk, even though it may compromise some minor aspects of longevity. Sometimes quality of life matters too. Studies on eunuchs don't really apply since they weren't doing CR and CR effects may well overlap anyway.

• 5 months later...

my daughter is 12yr old and has TS. she's got some hair loss. she has 1 patch about 5cms by 3cms and aeothnr 1cm round patch. She's been diagnosed with alopicia areata. She saw a dermatologist 3 weeks ago and has started on a steroid lotion to see if it helps.Hair loss is a bit more common in women with TS although still it does not happen too often and is very rare in children with TS. With my daughter they are thinking it's her immune system attacking the hair follicles.My daughters thyroid function is fine, it always has been she takes no medication for that. She started estrogen treatment about 8 months ago, oxandralone aged 8yrs and growth hormone aged 4 years. The alopicia started about 2 yrs ago but the hair grew back after 6 months, then about 1 yr ago came back in the same place but got bigger and showed no signs of coming back.Luckily she has really thick hair so the patches are not seen, she can't have her hair in 2 pony tails or french braids though as it can be seen then. but down or 1 pony tail and it's not seen..She had a blood test done with her last yearly blood tests to see if there was any reason for the loss but all tests came back normal. I guess we will just have to wait and see if the hair comes back or not Was this answer helpful?

Guest Khairul

Testosterone boosters do not in and of theelesvms cause excessive hair loss. Unless you have a genetic disposition for baldness which means unless one or both of your granddads was bald you are not going to lose any more hair than is normal for you to do so.

Archived