Any interest in a wiki?

BrianMDelaney

My honest opinion:

The more layers of computerese that we add to obtaining information, the smaller and less significant the CR Society will be.

We definitely have lost a lot of posters -- perhaps also members -- by discontinuing the simple mailing lists, and switching to the Forum mode.

Simplicity of access and posting would, I think, improve our significance.

-- Saul

My honest opinion:

The more layers of computerese that we add to obtaining information, the smaller and less significant the CR Society will be.

We definitely have lost a lot of posters -- perhaps also members -- by discontinuing the simple mailing lists, and switching to the Forum mode.

-- Saul

I don't think the cases are analogous, Saul. First, the switch from the List to the Forums involved dropping one vehicle in favor of another: in this case, we're adding extra tools, not eliminating any existing ones or mandating the use of the new ones.

Second, the Forum can't really do the job of an ongoing archive of practitioners, recipes, or more encyclopedic content: the Forum is for discussion, the Wiki would be for stable resources.

Agree with Michael (on all points). The wiki serves a different need: it's where knowledge that develops from discussion here and elsewhere gets presented (and, because it's a wiki, can easily be developed).

By the way, Saul, thanks for adding the first name to the Google docs list! (A list which, of course, easily can be transferred to the wiki, if we create a wiki.)

- Brian

My honest opinion:

-- Saul

I don't think the cases are analogous, Saul. First, the switch from the List to the Forums involved dropping one vehicle in favor of another: in this case, we're adding extra tools, not eliminating any existing ones or mandating the use of the new ones.

Second, the Forum can't really do the job of an ongoing archive of practitioners, recipes, or more encyclopedic content: the Forum is for discussion, the Wiki would be for stable resources.

Hi Michael!

Of course you're correct in what you say -- but you're ignoring that the forums require more computer work than the old lists -- it's easy to read email on the most measily device; a browser (not much, I'll agree -- but more) is needed (of, course, in most of our smartphones -- that are not so cheap) for the forums.

Also, much more serious -- as Dean noted in his last post, he wasn't sure whether to put the post in one forum or another.  A singular, LINEAR list, makes it easy for anyone -- including a casual reader, and we (had) a lot of those on the old Lists -- to get everything (skipping whatever he/she isn't interested in.

I don't have the data -- but I'll bet that we're even losing membership in the CR Society, since the Email Lists have gone.

About storing recipes, etc, in a secure place -- that's been around for a long time, independent of Lists vs. Forums.

BTW, as you can see, I'm having no problem with the forms.  But I regret losing posters, and probably members, and what I fear is the marginallization of the CR Society.

:(

-- Saul

Bear in mind that ALL internet 'chat' sites have been losing members in droves.  Last time I checked CRSupportgroup there had been only one post in the previous nine months.  So, declining participation here may not be a site-specific problem.

Mind you I did find the email list more convenient!

Rodney.

BTW, as you can see, I'm having no problem with the forms.  But I regret losing posters, and probably members, and what I fear is the marginallization of the CR Society.

I regret your regret. But I see no reason to believe we've lost anyone permanently, and, more importantly, we will surely gain many new people! It's just a question of community building, which is exactly what we're doing now. For your efforts (simply welcoming people, posting on a regular basis), I thank you!

- Brian

Archived