Impressive Centenarian Vegan Speaks About His Longevity

Dean Pomerleau

All,

Here is a short video (1:30) and a longer one (13min) profiling a Ellsworth Wareham, 100-year vegan man who appears to be still going strong, both physically and mentally.

He was a heart surgeon who didn't retire until 95. He is (not surprisingly) one of those long-lived, clean-living Seventh Day Adventists from Loma Linda California. He attributes his longevity to his low-fat vegan diet (which he adopted ~50 years ago) and his ability to avoid stress. His total cholesterol is 117, which he says makes him very unlikely to develop heart disease.

He now sees it as his mission to educate people about preventative medicine. Here is his wikipedia page for more information. He is quite an inspiration and the kind of person I think CR practitioners should aspire too!

--Dean

Ellsworth.jpg

Good video.  Thank you.  I wonder what his BMI and body fat are?   If I had to guess, looking at his profile mowing the lawn, I would guess around 23 and 15% respectively.

Imagine how much better he would be doing if it had been 20 and 10%!

Rodney.

"The unverified conventional wisdom is almost invariably mistaken."

I guess my unexpressed point had been intended to be that if for most of his life he had had a BMI of 20, he might now look 60 instead of 80!  (That is: 40% restriction making him look 40% younger than his chronological age, instead of the 20% younger he seems to me.)

Pure speculation of course.  Just trying to apply the results of the mouse studies that found progressively greater longevity appeared to result from progressively greater degrees of restriction  ........  in studies with more than just one mouse!

Rodney.

Archived