looking for an easier way to link to a specific post within a thread

Greg Scott

I often want to save a link to a specific post within a thread.

I stumbled across a method for doing so, by adding an "entryNNNN" as in this example:

http://www.crsociety.org/topic/11392-exercise/?do=findComment&comment=13908

I have not found an easy way to get this entryNNNN and append it to the thread URL. My method is a clumsy 2 step process.

My questions are:

1. Is there an easy way to get this entryNNNN value into the copy/paste buffer? (I can see it by hovering on the "sharing" icon, but I want to grab the value).

2. Is there an even easier way to construct the URL for a specific post (not just thread) than manually adding #entryNNNN to the thread URL?

I often want to save a link to a specific post within a thread.

I stumbled across a method for doing so, by adding an "entryNNNN" as in this example:

http://www.crsociety.org/topic/11392-exercise/?do=findComment&comment=13908

I have not found an easy way to get this entryNNNN and append it to the thread URL. My method is a clumsy 2 step process.

My questions are:

1. Is there an easy way to get this entryNNNN value into the copy/paste buffer? (I can see it by hovering on the "sharing" icon, but I want to grab the value).

2. Is there an even easier way to construct the URL for a specific post (not just thread) than manually adding #entryNNNN to the thread URL?

You're so close Greg!

To insert a link to a specific post in a thread from these forums, like this one to the helpful post I just made about inserting images into posts  :)xyz, do the following.

1. Navigate to the post you want to find the URL for.
  2. Click on the "#X" icon (where X will be the number of the post in the thread) located in the upper right of the post, next to the "Share" icon, as highlighted below:

MgbSq7v.png

3. This will bring up a box with the URL in it, like this:

0UR0Qs4.png

4. Simply click on the box to highlight the URL text and copy the URL to your clipboard.
  5. Then, to insert the link into your post, left-click and drag to highlight the text you want to make into a URL, and then hit the little chain link icon in the composition window highlighted below:

jMn81dx.png

6. Paste the URL into the box that pops up, and your text will be turned into a hyperlink to the post you want to link to.

Hope this is clear and helpful!

--Dean

<great answer snipped>

Hope this is clear and helpful!

--Dean

Dean,

Your professional-grade post is going to be helpful to many others.

I might be revealing my extreme laziness, but your description is for what I alluded to when I said "My method is a clumsy 2 step process.", popping up the "share post #X" window/box.

What I was hoping for was something like "right click on the such-and-such icon, and choose save-to-clipboard".

Once the text is in the clipboard, just CTRL-V to save the URL into the composition window.

Your very helpful post on inserting post-specific URLs will save others' time.

I stumbled into my "clumsy 2 step process" ;)xyz ; now others don't have to stumble.

What I was hoping for was something like "right click on the such-and-such icon, and choose save-to-clipboard".

Hmmm... For me, running Windows 10, right clicking on the "Share" icon (highlighted below):

NJ0GBns.png

brings up a menu with the option "copy link address". When I click on that option, the URL for the post is copied to my clipboard. Does that not work for you in Linux?

--Dean

Dean,

I'm editing my entire post, as I just now clued in to what you were telling me.

It works like it ought to.

I had been erroneously clicking on the "Open link ..." rather than the "Copy link ..." option in the "Share" icon right-click menu.

Thanks for lifting me out of the hole I was digging!

Greg,

Glad it worked for you too. I learned something new too - that you can right click on the share button and use "copy link address" to save a step in getting a post's URL into the clipboard.

One other helpful tip since you you Chrome too. I just installed the Clipboard History browser extension from the Google Chrome store. It allows you to browse through previous items stored in the clipboard, not just the most recent. Very handy if you've done a lot of recent clipping. 

Edit: Actually, I've found an even better, more feature-rich clipboard history extension for Chrome, called Clipboard History 2.

--Dean

Archived