The View Out of My Window Here

nicholson

Here is the view of my backyard, using first my phone camera normally:

hZQSaGZ.jpg

and a 360-degree panorama created by Google's "Cardboard Camera" app. You can see my two raised-bed gardens in the middle of the image. Its quite impressive how well it stitches all the images together. If you've got a Google Cardboard viewer ($11 on Amazon), you can view it in virtual reality with your Android phone, which is even cooler!

eLxdDeY.jpg

If you really want to get a chuckle, check out this view of the front of my house from Microsoft Bing Maps equivalent of Google Street View. I happened to be finishing up my run one day last summer, and I saw this weird van drive through my neighborhood with a camera contraption on the roof and a sign saying "Microsoft Bing Maps" on the side. After a couple months, sure enough, the image showed up in Bing Maps. Yes, that's me standing (shirtless) in the middle of my driveway watching the van drive by.

--Dean

That's strange. Greg, did you try from a machine other than your Linux box? It wouldn't surprise me if the browser features required for Bing Maps aren't fully implemented in your Linux browser.

Dean,

I only tried from Linux Chrome browser. My Windows 7 PC is stored until tax preparation time.

Thanks for the photo. Your driveway is enormous!

I live in a small treehouse deep in the forest on an island near Seattle. The view from my many windows comprises trees, trees, and more trees! Spectacular when it's snowy or sunny, but most of the time it's just a lovely peaceful dark green and grey.

post-7167-0-67509000-1449944762_thumb.jpg

post-7167-0-28995500-1449944773_thumb.jpg

post-7167-0-19324000-1449945016_thumb.jpg

Thanks. It's 3 stories tall, about 250 sq feet not including the deck, so a tiny footprint. The sleeping loft is on top with windows on all 4 sides so I can get up close and personal with the barred owls and pileated woodpeckers. It's almost a mile to the nearest paved public road but only 3 miles to the ferry to Seattle.

post-7167-0-56320900-1449956872_thumb.jpg

post-7167-0-74767900-1449957034_thumb.jpg

post-7167-0-29049400-1449957112_thumb.jpg

Dean, your place looks great to me! And, with lots of sun and greenhouse possibilities (limited though they be by your incredibly short-sighted neighbors, as I recall) you can grow tons of edible plants, but.... WOW, Liz!! I am stunned.

I would have to sweeten the pot considerably to make the following anything other than laughable, but if you ever want to experience Stockholm in the summer, and would be interested in a home swap, do let me know!! (I'm in a beautiful part of the city, on the edge near lots of water and trails, but it's only a one-bedroom, 50-m2 apartment. Top floor, balcony, but still....)

- Brian

Brian,

Dean, your place looks great to me! And, with lots of sun and greenhouse possibilities (limited though they be by your incredibly short-sighted neighbors, as I recall) you can grow tons of edible plants, but.... WOW, Liz!! I am stunned.

Oh don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining. We're blessed to have such a nice house. It is just much too big (5 bedrooms for 3 people!) and high maintenance. Once my daughter goes off to college in a couple years, my wife and I plan to downsize, and maybe move someplace warmer!

--Dean

Archived