Target anti-aging post-prandial blood sugar / lipids?

sirtuin

Although, I wonder if this concern could also be a benefit.  I eat an omnivorous diet, often with heme iron in my meals (which also boosts non-heme iron absorption.)  On 23andme, it appears as though I also have a marker for hemochromatosis (although, just 1 copy of a mutated HFE gene.)  I also tend to eat vitamin-C rich meals with some acids / vinegar which also serves to increase iron absorption, and occasionally cook on heirloom cast iron cookware.  While avoiding anemia, I've read that lower iron stores are potentially beneficial?

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/37/3/416.short

"A cup of coffee reduced iron absorption from a hamburger meal by 39% as compared to a 64% decrease with tea.

No decrease in iron absorption occurred when coffee was consumed 1 h before a meal, but the same degree of inhibition as with simultaneous ingestion was seen when coffee was taken 1 h later."

While consuming large / very large meals, I wonder if this post-prandial window for iron absorption inhibition extends further out past the 1hr mark.  Perhaps pre-meal coffee is the way to go here.

Sirtuin,

Thanks for answering the pre-meal coffee question. I've always wondered that. Now I know that a one hour pre-meal buffer should be enough to avoid impaired iron absorption. It sounds like for you some inhibition might be a good thing, but have you checked your iron level to make sure? I agree that with the large, low GI and high fiber meals we eat that nutrient absorption (incl. iron) is likely extended well past one hour.

Dean

Sirtuin,

Thanks for answering the pre-meal coffee question. I've always wondered that. Now I know that a one hour pre-meal buffer should be enough to avoid impaired iron absorption. It sounds like for you some inhibition might be a good thing, but have you checked your iron level to make sure? I agree that with the large, low GI and high fiber meals we eat that nutrient absorption (incl. iron) is likely extended well past one hour.

Dean

That's a good call, I haven't checked iron / ferritin in a couple years.  I was thinking that it was on my last metabolic lab work, but I don't see it in there (although RBC / hematocrit / hemoglobin were all in ideal ranges.)

Archived