Hi there, Where are we? (and newbie introduction)

CJay

Hi! I'm new to posting on CR Society though I love the 120 year diet book, your forums, and thee Cronometer. I'm not yet trying (or assuming I'm on the way to) CR and I haven't figured yet how I would best approach it (though I'm finding it increasingly interesting to try and get all my nutrients from actual food!)

I am one of those -take it or leave it people when it comes to food... I really enjoy it when I do it but I kinda find the whole schpeel laborious most of the time and wish I didn't have to do it so dogone often- the washing and cookinng and chewing that is :)

I have multiple food allergies so it's really hard for me to eat out, meaning this doesn't change my social life much.

I found CR originally from Dr. Amen when researching brain health. Sure looking young and feeling young sound great but thinking like a young person is my number one goal I believe :) I wish there were more "biomarker" tests to monitor that.

A teensy bit about me: I'm 26, 5'8''-5'9'' (depending how stretched I am), and fluctuate between 115 and 118 lbs naturally though sometimes (especially in winter) I'm closer to 112 (like now-- more sleep and less muscle I presume).

And I'm female- living in LOS ANGELES (from northern cali) wondering where all you otherr posters are.

Also-I really appreciate how active a few of you are on here, I feel I've gotten to know a few of you in small ways just from reading your posts and sweet replies. Thank you for taking time from you day to do so!

<3

Casey

Hi Casey:

With a body mass index below 17 you are ALREADY on CR.  And in my opinion you definitely do not want to become any more CRed than you are already.

However, have you heard of CRON?  'Caloric Restriction with Optimal Nutrition'?

Since you are already well CRed you are likely to be able to gain considerable long term health benefits from the 'Optimal Nutrition' part of the acronym.

Have you run your diet through comprehensive nutrition analysis software?  If not you MUST, to find out which nutrients you are deficient, so you can fix those deficiencies.

CRON-o-Meter is a wonderful free way to do this.  Can be found I think at www.spaz.ca

I suggest you log everything you eat for a week into CRON-o-Meter, see what it comes up with, and then come back here, tell us what it found and ask for advice if you think you might benefit from it.

All the best,

Rodney.

============

"The unverified conventional wisdom is almost invariably mistaken."

Welcome Casey!

Thanks thanks for posting your recipes! They sound great!

I'm glad you're finding the information on these forums helpful. I'm from western Pennsylvania, north of Pittsburgh - wishing I was from California. But I guess I can't complain too much, since we've had a very mild winter so far (in fact I just finished the last of my homegrown tomatoes!), and you guys are in the midst of a pretty bad drought.

--Dean

Hi Casey, Rodney, Dean, Liz and all,

I am new too! I am female, 45 and 5’2.5. I weighed 126 lbs yesterday morning. I live in San Jose area, California. My PBF(percent body fat) was 20.9 in September 2015 on an Inbody 370. My visceral fat level was 4 in July 2014 on an Inbody 570.

I have been a 90-95% nutritarian with Dr. Joel Fuhrman for more than 3 years. I am a vegan. I have been feeling a lot healthier.

My current challenge is to lower my body weight and body fat. I overeat on the higher calorie food items – nuts, sweet potatoes, sugary fruits and sometimes beans and tofu. It is very frustrating! I started to read on your forum last week. I really like your forum a lot, learning about all the science about calorie restriction, you guys’ practice and trying hard to focus on the long-term longevity goal.

Welcome, Casey and Grace!!

Myself, I'm far away from most of you, in Stockholm, though I'm American (well, legally, also Swedish as of a couple years ago).

Casey, I know what you mean about the "take it or leave it" feeling.... I get great pleasure out of eating sometimes, but mostly I'd rather be playing music, writing, or talking with friends.

Hearing from you Californians makes me realize how much I miss the Golden Land... (where I've lived for a few couple-year stints).

- Brian

Hi Casey,

I'm an hour or so up the coast from you in Santa Barbara. Southern California with its moderate climate - cold this week though - and access to locally grown fresh food all year round is ideal for a CR practice, particularly if you're largely vegan like me. The only place in the US I can think of that might be better is the upcountry interior of Maui - though there the danger is you might die of boredom :)

I wouldn't put too much stock in BMI as it's only a very rough guide to body shape. Because of the mathematics of it - dividing by height squared rather than the more geometrically correct cube - it's only directly comparable with people of similar height and build. Someone taller but of the exact same shape will have a larger BMI. % body-fat from a DEXA scan will tell you more.

Brian, thank you! I am just starting to read your "The Longevity Diet." I will ask questions later. Grace

Welcome, Casey and Grace!!

Myself, I'm far away from most of you, in Stockholm, though I'm American (well, legally, also Swedish as of a couple years ago).

Casey, I know what you mean about the "take it or leave it" feeling.... I get great pleasure out of eating sometimes, but mostly I'd rather be playing music, writing, or talking with friends.

Hearing from you Californians makes me realize how much I miss the Golden Land... (where I've lived for a few couple-year stints).

- Brian

Ho Everyone! Oh my goodness how lovely to see that people reply :) I've asked for notifications via email on my posts and "followed" topics but I never received an email so I'm glad I checked :) maybe I need to check my junk mail.

I have used the Cronometer and I found it really cool and informative but it certainly seems like it's hard to eat "enough". I'm often full before I "should be" according to those silly numbers. I've generally found it helpful for healthy eating but with w type A personality I was getting obsessive with the app. Maybe a better approach is to write it down, let it go, and check in bulk later.

I have sensitive blood sugar so protein is important for me though I've tried being vegan a number of tunes, it really only worked when I was also an athlete so my appetite was voracious enough to meet normal protein requirements,

I'll definitely post more recipes if people like them! I love everything I eat but it's so weird lol. The food allergies make me adaptive I suppose. (One of my favorite things is a whole heck load of boiled greens (especially beet or radish tops) with nutritional yeast and vegan "cheese" (probably not super nutritious but it's really easy to eat 8oz greens or so.

I feel so happy and supported yay! Hopefully I'll get the post notifications otherwise I'll check back soon :)

Martin thank you for the info on the dexa scan and all that! If you're ever coming to LA there are lots of places we can have lunch! Lol

Grace hi! Your body fat and all that seems healthy, if I were you I think focusing on the CRON part is the goal, weight optimization seems to be the effect so if you're there already maybe being grateful for all your beautiful body can do for you.... (A lot of people down here have weight obsessions. It's not a beautiful thing to suck away our minds or values so just try to remember what's important [just my opinion, take it or leave it, no stress :)])

Brian- pus pus! (The Swedish I remember from 2007 lol)

Thank you Dean and Nicholson too! Dean I miss my gardens from NorCal but school and art called me to the city- I bet those tomatoes (and everything you grow!) are awesome!

Brian, I am at “the warrior code” part of your book. I like it a lot!

Here is a quote,

“You may sometimes lose a battle, but you are determined to win the war! ”

I constantly lose battles to the enemy of craving for higher calorie foods. I feel physical and mental discomfort in the process of cutting down calories. I know that eventually I will feel better, as I educate myself with more and more science. But right now I feel worse. Could you help me with ideas, thoughts and suggestions?

Grace, fire away with any questions you have!

Happy New Year!

Brian

Grace, I've been thinking about your question, and reviewing some notes I wrote in my journal years ago, when I first started CR, and I realized that the most important aid for me was 1) keeping abreast of the science showing benefits 2) in the context of a community of people with the same longevity and health goals (like this forum, or, earlier, the email lists). It may be that the social context aspect is the most important motivator of all.

What happened, eventually, is that I associated the physical feeling of hunger with health benefits in such as a strong way that it ceased feeling like something "bad".

Oh, and not to make too naked a plug for our upcoming conference, but attendance at our conferences gives most people a strong boost in motivation that lasts at least a few months. What we really need, though is more local groups.

Best,

Brian

Grace, I've been thinking about your question, and reviewing some notes I wrote in my journal years ago, when I first started CR, and I realized that the most important aid for me was 1) keeping abreast of the science showing benefits 2) in the context of a community of people with the same longevity and health goals (like this forum, or, earlier, the email lists). It may be that the social context aspect is the most important motivator of all.

What happened, eventually, is that I associated the physical feeling of hunger with health benefits in such as a strong way that it ceased feeling like something "bad".

Oh, and not to make too naked a plug for our upcoming conference, but attendance at our conferences gives most people a strong boost in motivation that lasts at least a few months. What we really need, though is more local groups.

Best,

Brian

Brian, thank you for your response. Thank you for reviewing your earlier notes and sharing your nice tips! Your mindset is the more hungry I get, the healthier my body is! I will work on it!

I have asked once, and I am here to ask again. How soon will the schedule details of May 2016 conference come out? Is it OK to be in T-shirts all the time? How would a vegan attending the conference get all the veggies and fruit he/she needs?

I like a lot the idea of local groups. Could you tell me about the local group that would cover me in San Jose, California?

I have asked once, and I am here to ask again. How soon will the schedule details of May 2016 conference come out?

I was hoping one of our conf. organizers might chime in. But you saw this, I assume:

https://www.crsociety.org/blog/8/entry-18-ninth-cr-society-conference-may-2016-in-tucson/

Is it OK to be in T-shirts all the time?

Yes! There will be many who will be in t-shirts.

How would a vegan attending the conference get all the veggies and fruit he/she needs?

Effortlessly, since the food offered will be entirely, or nearly entirely vegan.

I like a lot the idea of local groups. Could you tell me about the local group that would cover me in San Jose, California?

"The"? I'm unaware of an existing local group in or near San Jose.

Anyone else know of one? I imagine there are tons of CR practitioners in or certainly near San Jose!

Best,

Brian

"The"? I'm unaware of an existing local group in or near San Jose.

Anyone else know of one? I imagine there are tons of CR practitioners in or certainly near San Jose!

Best,

Brian

Thank you, Brian, for all your helpful answers! I guess going to the May conference would be the only way to get to know other CR people near San Jose!

Grace, yes, you will almost certainly meet people from the Bay Area at the conference, and likely even a few from San Jose itself. The conferences are also really a great way to get an injection of inspiration about health and longevity in general. I've enjoyed the after hours discussions as much as the talks. And this leads to new friendships, even if they aren't local. (But with Skype, local isn't quite as important as it used to be.)

Archived