Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Short popular press article:

Cold Exposure May Inhibit Cancer Growth By 'Hijacking' Glucose Storage

It cites this Aug. 2022 study:

Brown-fat-mediated tumour suppression by cold-altered global metabolism

In a pilot human study, mild cold exposure activates a substantial amount of BAT in both healthy humans and a patient with cancer with mitigated glucose uptake in the tumour tissue. These findings provide a previously undescribed concept and paradigm for cancer therapy that uses a simple and effective approach. We anticipate that cold exposure and activation of BAT through any other approach, such as drugs and devices either alone or in combination with other anticancer therapeutics, will provide a general approach for the effective treatment of various cancers.

Edited by Sibiriak

Sibiriak, are you being able to practice CE now in Siberia? Here today, Christmas day, we had 5°C minimum and 14°C max, no wind, sunshine. A few minutes ago, at sunset, with 11 °C and 100% humidity, barechested I just started to feel a pleasant coolness working outside.

I doubt that in southern Europe up to now it has been possible to activate BAT metabolism. Cold showers may help, if prolonged for at least 10 minutes.

That was was in November.   December has been mostly in the -15 to -27C range.  It has warmed up recently to -8 to -15C, but forecast to go back to -20 to -30C by the end of next week.

I'm definitely doing a lot of CE.      Tap water comes straight from the Yenisey river and is really, really cold.

"Activate your “dive reflex.”

You know that movie moment when the main character runs away from a stressful situation and into a public bathroom? When they take a deep breath and splash cold water from the sink on their face as a way to show the audience that they really need to calm down? Melodramatic as it may seem, a version of this grounding technique could actually help you in real life, since splashing cold water on your face is a way to activate the “dive reflex,” your body’s natural way of focusing blood and oxygen to your vital organs when you’re submerged in water.2

“This tool can be helpful when people are starting to kind of panic—they’re going into a presentation or a meeting they’re really nervous about and they’re feeling acute anxiety due to a stressor,” Nicole Murray, PsyD, clinical director and CEO at telehealth therapy group Cultured Space, tells SELF. Cold water on your face can calm your autonomic nervous system, decreasing your heart rate and slowing your breathing.  

https://www.self.com/story/stress-relief-activities?utm_source=pocket-newtab

"

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Just today I discovered that Wim Hof is no longer the recordman for ice immersion.

The Polish engineer and athlete Valerjan Romanovski has established the record at 3 hours, 28 seconds. Impressing to say the least. Far longer than anyone previously managed. And Coming out alive. Pls watch the video!

Edited by mccoy

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 9:35 PM, Ron Put said:

These data suggest that risk of an ischemic event may be elevated in the cold.

You don't think outside the box much, do you? This problem is easily solved with a simple pair of socks. Never forget socks! 

• 1 month later...

There are some interesting comments in the above vid, for example she mentions studies showing you can activate brown fat just by putting your hand alone into a bucket of cold water.  There is value in fluctuating your temperature throughout the day to build brown fat.  And sleeping in a cold room, even with clothes and a heavy blanket still works to activate brown fat as long as your face is exposed to the cold air. 

21 hours ago, Gordo said:

There are some interesting comments in the above vid, for example she mentions studies showing you can activate brown fat just by putting your hand alone into a bucket of cold water.  There is value in fluctuating your temperature throughout the day to build brown fat.  And sleeping in a cold room, even with clothes and a heavy blanket still works to activate brown fat as long as your face is exposed to the cold air. 

I've very recently been formulating the same theories in my cold exposure, but never saw reports from others on them. In particular, often it seems my Oura ring measured HRV is higher the night after a great episode of CE. Now, in my day to day living, on certain days just my feet, or hands, or head (e.g., from surfing in various environments / conditions or from sleeping with the windows open when it got colder than anticipated) get veeery cold without my core body temp. seeming to be challenged much. On those certain days, my resulting Oura ring measured HRV seems to come-in high.