Zeta

Just out of curiosity, I downloaded the Tor browser, and have started looking around at all these "Onion" sites. Partly I just wanted to know what so many people I know are talking so much about. It's a fascinating (and weird and at times scary...) world!!

But let's say someone wanted to get a relatively benign medication (not yet approved but, from initial appearances, mild and safe sleep meds, for ex.) from the "deep web" not available, via normal means, in the country where she or he resides. Purely theoretical question. And let's say the technical problems that stops a lot of people here -- installing and setting up the Tor browser, understanding Bitcoin, etc. -- are all solved. There remains the fundamentally critical question of trust: how does one know which purveyor is reliable? There's got to be a place where sources are ranked and reviewed, but I haven't found any, aside from a few questionable threads on Reddit that seem mostly to do with assessing sources for recreational drugs, and some claims, possibly believable (but possibly smear-campaigns by competitors) about certain sources "exit scamming").

It's a fascinating general sociological question, really: how communities based on illicit or illegal activity are constituted (including how trust and good will, etc., are established).

Zeta

• 3 weeks later...

"how does one know which purveyor is reliable?"

As you well know, this is always an issue when buying illegal or unregulated substances. Word of mouth and public product reviews are about it, but often limited, especially when the substance or provider in question are less common.

From experience, which may or not be applicable to you, I'll say that often there are small circles that communicate personally outside of public Darkweb forums, and you have to know someone who knows someone to get the inside scoop on where to reliably source goods. Most of those inner-circles like to keep decent sources private, and it's generally the more private, conservative sources that stay around the longest and maintain a quality product. As with many things illegal, building a reputation will open more doors over time, providing progressive access to more sensitive information and higher quality products.

Alex,

You've build up such a positive reputation on these forums as someone who can be trusted, who always has the welfare of others in mind, who contributes meaningfully to the knowledge of the group, and who is willing to openly share your own experiences.

As a result of your unwavering service to our tight-knit little family of CR practitioners, I feel very close to you, almost like you are a brother to me. So I'll be happy to share my Darknet wisdom and private sources with you, potentially jeopardizing my safety and theirs. You mean that much to me.

Simply contact me through private message and I'll fill you in on all the details.

--Dean

I feel like I'm in a brilliant, self-scripting Platonic dialog. Thanks everyone!

Back to the main topic: James, from what I've been gathering, what you say makes a lot of sense. I've put out feelers (like the very post with which this thread commenced), and have therewith begun the process of developing contacts, establishing trust, etc.

I've been exploring Reddit more, and believe that it might be more promising than I'd realized. One has to participate in ways that go beyond merely asking questions, of course (ahem...). Indeed, that's always essential to any community-building: giving, as well as receiving/requesting.

Zeta

Archived