Can sparkling water serve as an appetite suppressant

InquilineKea

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150911-is-sparkling-water-really-bad-for-you

If you drink a lot of sparkling water you might find you feel bloated, but researchers in Japan have found that this side-effect could be put to good use. They had a group of women fast overnight and then slowly drink either still or sparkling water. They found that 900ml of gas was released from just 250ml of water, so not surprisingly the women’s stomachs distended slightly and the had the perception of feeling full, even though they hadn’t eaten. They didn’t feel uncomfortable and so fizzy water has been suggested as a way of avoiding overeating, because it makes you feel fuller.

I drink sparkling water when I fast, and it definitely extends my belly and makes me feel fuller. And burpy. Plus, if I guzzle it too quickly, I'll get a wicked head rush. So since sparkling water is such great fun, is tasty, and is filling, it's probably horrible for human health and will prob shave off hours of life here.

Alex,

Thanks so much for bringing [1] to our attention. I also commend you for including a link to the PubMed abstract for the study. One small request though, if you'd be willing to take one tiny additional step, and include the PMID number (in this case 23327968), and even better, the text of the abstract, it would really help with searching for this information in the future. How you ask? I occasionally come across older studies like this one that seems very interesting, and I wonder if its ever been discussed before on these forums. By searching on its PMID, I can quickly find out, whether or not the thread included the study authors, its title, or any other identifying information. The PMID number serves as a universal handle. 

On the subject of the study, I occasionally drink carbonated water - mostly plain but sometimes flavored / sweetened when I'm out. I can't say that I've noticed a significant increase in satiety relative to drinking plain water (or tea/coffee). 

How about you Alex? Is drinking carbonated water a strategy you've tried and found effective for controlling your appetite, or are you just putting it out there?

--Dean

-----------

[1] J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2012;58(5):333-8.

The effects of carbonated water upon gastric and cardiac activities and fullness
in healthy young women.

Wakisaka S(1), Nagai H, Mura E, Matsumoto T, Moritani T, Nagai N.

Author information:
(1)Graduate School of Human Science and Environment, University of Hyogo, Himeji,
Hyogo, Japan.

Although previous reports suggested that carbonated water drinking was effective
against gastrointestinal symptoms, there is little information about the effects
of carbonated water on gastric and appetite sensation. We therefore investigated
the effect of carbonated water on short-term fullness with respect to gastric and
cardiac responses in 19 healthy young women. Each subject was tested on three
separate days at approximately 9 a.m. after an overnight fast. Gastric motility,
evaluated by electrogastrography (EGG) and heart rate (HR), was measured for 20
min in the fasting state and 40 min after ingestion of water. Preloads consisted
of an equivalent amount (250 mL) of water (W) or carbonated water (CW) and no
drinking (blank). Fullness scores were measured using visual analog scales. To
determine gastric motility, we assessed the component of bradygastria (1-2
cycles/min [cpm]), normogastria (2-4 cpm), tachygastria (4-9 cpm), and dominant
frequency of the EGG power spectrum. After ingestion of CW, significant increases
in fullness scores were observed compared with W. All postprandial EGG powers
were significantly greater than preprandial, but no group difference was found.
However, a dominant frequency tended to shift toward a lower band after ingestion
of W. A significantly higher HR was found following consumption of CW as opposed
to W. Multiple regression analysis revealed that increased HR was a significant
variable contributing to the variances in fullness after ingestion of CW at 40
min. Our data suggest that CW may induce a short-term, but significant, satiating
effect through enhanced postprandial gastric and cardiac activities due possibly
to the increased sympathetic activity and/or withdrawal of parasympathetic
activity.

PMID: 23327968

Archived