Mechanism

Friday June 17th East Coast Aging Conference

Weekend of 5/5/16: On the theme of get-togethers, if you live in the Northeast and plan on doing an R&R ( https://kripalu.org/stay/rr-retreats/specials-packages/weekend-program-rr-special)or other class at Kripalu in Western MA & want to get together feel free to PM / message me. I'll be enrolled in https://kripalu.org/presenters-programs/vegetarian-express-luscious-meals-minutes

For those unaware of Kripalu, their all-you-can eat cafeteria options are incredible:

1) https://kripalu.org/stay/kripalu-kitchen

2) https://kripalu.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/menu.pdf

3) https://kripalu.org/resources?im_field_resource_category=&im_field_resource_type=155&keyword=

Besides their vegetarian lineup (2nd row for the pescatarian), they have an all-vegan & gluten free "Buddha bar" every meal.

Edited by Mechanism

Cool - you too! Btw, there's a group of Harvard undergrads who are starting an anti-aging club - some of them are probably coming, so we might be able to be introduced to each other too.

Sounds great! Would love to meetup with any practioners. FYI my wife & I will be up in Chicago this weekend (arrival tomorrow) and in the Berkshires @ Kripalu on 6/23 - 6/25 in case there are other interested parties for get together (or tips what to check out in Chicago)....

....As long as there is shared interest in sharing info , getting together, research discourse / debate, etc, I think there is hope for an ongoing Crsociety for the long haul.

Hi Mechanism!

My wife and I had planned to be at Kripalu for this Memorial Day weekend -- but had to cancel.   We have a credit, which we'll use.  Perhaps 6/23 - 6/25 might work for us.

:)xyz

--  Saul

It would be great to meet you Saul if that works out. :)xyz  Lots of great offerings that weekend including Sharon Salzberger "Real Love" 6/24- 6/26 ( a better synopsis of our travels) if you enjoy ( e.g.- lovingkindness) meditation.  Since we enrolled it looks like John Bagnulo would be another interesting option although I'm not familiar with his work)... but then a good old fashioned R&R is always a great option.  

Either way, any season, you can't beat the Kripalu organic all you can eat vegetarian dining!

Edited by Mechanism

The clock is ticking... June 17th ( please note - a FRIDAY) looks to be a great Boston conference.  With the big national crsociety conference behind us, at this time of apparent transition for crsociety, and with the next Arizona meeting likely years away, I thought it would be nice if a critical mass of crsociety folk had the opportunity to get-together. 

The program looks great, and registration is easy... thoughts, RSVPs?

Edited by Mechanism

Mechanism,

Thanks for sharing the program for the Harvard Aging Symposium. It looks really good, and I wish I could go. If I were in the area I definitely would, but Boston is quite a long way to drive (~10.5h from Pittsburgh) for a one-day conference, and flying is expensive and a mess right now.

I hope you'll report on the highlights, particularly the CR & Hydrogen Sulfide talk.

--Dean

For the Boston Aging conference on Friday June 17th, it looks like a great program -- although they have an RSVP, it looks like it is free and ends at around 5pm.

InquilineKea, you mentioned a Harvard-affiliated “anti-aging club” that has started - any interest along with any other CR and intermittent fasting practitioners meeting up at the end of the conference for a little informal group social? 

There is an amazing CR and vegan-friendly restaurant in Cambridge called Life Alive.  [765 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139 617-354-5433]. 

Check out the Life Alive menu!  Best part is you can "build your own bowl" from any combination of healthy locally grown whole food plant-based sides listed on page one of the menu on the right side where it lists the "sides" (black background, white text).  You can also spice them up with “shots” (no added sugar) of turmeric, ginger, other spices, lemonjuice, etc.

My wife will be doing Boston things during the conference but right after we plan on going to Life Alive and would enjoy a cr society  meetup over dinner.  We will be there between arrival at about 5:30pm and 7:00pm.  After placing our orders I will put a little placard on the table “CR INTEREST GROUP” and you are welcome to join.

Also, for early risers, presuming it is open (website says 7:30 am, but not 100% sure as I haven’t been there before – saw it listed for local food on the last page of the program book), in the same Harvard Research Building, I’ll be hanging out, probably working on my laptop or iPhone in the “Elements Café” for at least an hour or so before the conference from 8-9.  I’ll put a sign the Table “CR INTEREST GROUP.  This might be just a fun way to meet and share ideas.

I thought it would be nice to also distribute to the CRSociety Facebook page, so if anyone has an account and could go ahead and post this there too, that would be great.

Thanks!

Edited by Mechanism

Mechanism,

I'm jealous. The cool restaurants make me even more regretful that I can't go. Have fun and have a good meal for me!

I thought it would be nice to also distribute to the CRSociety Facebook page, so if anyone has an account and could go ahead and post this there too, that would be great.

Done. For you and other Facebook-challenged folks, here is a screen capture of what I posted to the CRS Facebook group:

iHA4wgO.png

Have fun, and please let us know how it goes, and how the talks are.

--Dean

Thanks Dean!  Perhaps another time.  Appreciate the post to Facebook. 

And on that note, intermittent fasting aficionados also welcome and if there are any good places to post for that, anyone interested feel free to spread the word there as well.  Indeed for my part, I practice IF but not CR except perhaps "accidentally" based on my biomarkers -- not surprising as with my fast metabolism I'm just a little bit bit skinnier than Dean, albeit minus his amazing day-long marathons with the standing bike desk...

Edited by Dean Pomerleau
replaced "standing desk" with "bike desk"

InquilineKea, you mentioned a Harvard-affiliated “anti-aging club” that has started - any interest along with any other CR and intermittent fasting practitioners meeting up at the end of the conference for a little informal group social?

Sure! I've just told them this - I'm sure some will be interested. It's a journal club and it may extend beyond just Harvard students to people in the Cambridge area who are interested in aging research.

Starting at 5:30 PM might be a bit too soon since some of us may want to talk to the speakers after the symposium (but you're free to start anytime).

====

Regarding Life Alive - do we know calorie counts for the items on the menu?

Edited by InquilineKea

No worries InquilineKea, I expect people to trickle in over time. My wife and I eat, sleep and wake early so we'll keep to the early 5:30pm for dinner, and for my part I may leave the conference a little early to get a head start. No obligation to arrive when we do, except for us pretty much everyone at the conference is in a similar boat with respect to commute time from end of the conference, so I don't expect you to miss much if anything if you arrive late for dinner. Afterwards, we can share notes, and people can stay as long as they like. If there is a table downstairs, we'll take one of those. I'll also be hanging out at the aforementioned cafes before the conference, if dinner does not work out for one reason or another.

No calorie counts - I checked with them previously :)xyz . You can guesstimate grams of individual ingredients via approximating portions, esp. if you do a make-your-own bowl, or alternatively you can look at other's thoughts for approximations such as here.

Edited by Mechanism

and in the Berkshires @ Kripalu on 6/23 - 6/25 in case there are other interested parties for get together

Hi Mechanism!

June 25 is a Saturday -- and Kripalu doesn't allow arrivals or departures on Saturday.

??

--  Saul

Hi Saul,

Great to hear from you! We actually passed through the Rochester area a month or two ago and thought of you ( via Amtrak to humanist conference in Chicago though never got off the train on the way to our destination).

Our Kripalu program runs from the evening of Friday June 24 until mid-day on Sunday 6/26 at noon. I mentioned June 23 ( Thursday ) in the original post because we were considering heading up to the Berkshires a day early though have since decided to arrive Friday the 24th instead. I did not mention Sunday the 26th as an option because our program runs until mid-day on Sunday and we will need to run (drive) off right after a quick lunch on Sunday. Would be great to see you if you can make it: could meetup Friday night or probably easier sometime Saturday, maybe over a delicious Kripalu meal or Saturday am if you are an early riser vs between/after program session(s) depending on what you are registered for - I'm sure we can flex scheduled for the rare opportunity to get together ( all CRON-friendly participants welcome to join us). Personally, we are doing the lovingkindness session with Sharon Salzberger "Real Love" 6/24- 6/26 - she pretty much brought this meditation from Eastern Tibetan traditions to the U.S., as well as establishing the dominant secular Buddhist practices via spearheading the foundation of the insight meditation society via its humble beginnings near Barre MA.

Sthira, if you have never tried it - with your interest in Yoga and dance ( great thread you started) the noon Yoga dance at Kripalu is something special.

Edited by Mechanism

Inquilinekea,

For the other venue ( Boston conference this weekend ), I was thinking if a group of us wanted to sit together we could meet at Elements Cafe mentioned above & then walk off to the conference at 8:35 which is 15 minutes before it starts? I'll be arriving at he cafe early, looks like they open at 7:30 a.m. Can you contact the Harvard anti-aging club to let them know?

Sure - I'll let them know.

Btw - I emailed Vince Giuliano about the conference and he said this:

Hi Alex

I will  be flying back from San Francissco Friday but otherwise would love to come.  Please keep in touch.

Vince
cleardot.gif
Edited by InquilineKea

Thanks for the update InquinilineKea and the reach-out to Vince.

BTW, cool webpage link - the "growth mindset reference" suggest to me you are also a fan of Carol Dweck's work.  We have a young son and try to downplay "talent" in favor of hard work" as instrumental to achieving goals.

I haven't heard back from anyone else regarding pre-conference meet-up in the a.m., so given the commute not sure what time I will arrive to the cafe Friday a.m. before the conference, however will certainly be there at least 15 minutes before the conference starts to allow for "communal seating."  Looking forward to meeting & checking out the conference.

Okay - Vince can't meet us tomorrow but he would love to meet some other time.

Let me know when you arrive at the cafe - I'd also like to arrive at the cafe somewhat early so we can get to meet.

Updated evening plan: I will leave the last session a little early ( 4:15 rather than 4:30) to allow enough time for the commute early to the Cambridge Life Alive order my entree & get set up in case others want to join in taking a table downstairs. I expect heavy traffic and Life Alive seems to always be brimming with lots of happy hungry customers. Our own dinner will probably be served / start sometime around 5pm to 5:30pm, but again, no need to do the early bird thing with us, welcome to join us anytime later.

Not sure what options there are for lunch break but we may wish to check out together if you are not packing your own..

Edited by Mechanism