Mechanism

Combining Cold Exposure with heat induced autophagy

Rhonda Patrick has discussed for some time the use of Sauna to not only enhance athletic performance, but also promote longevity via induction of heat shock proteins. For example, see https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eWKBsh7YTXQ

Basic science and animal models are consistent with at least some population based research: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25705824/

Have any cronies experimented with a combination of the two? It seems that while seemingly contradictory the mechanisms are actually different hence combining both cold and hot stressors may be workable.

Mechanism,

Thanks Dean! Looks like we had the same basic question posted within 60 seconds of one another

That is a really weird synchronicity! I figured the two posts must have been somehow related (i.e. you and TomB might be the same person, or one cross-posted after the other). I didn't notice the timestamps - which appear identical (8:12pm yesterday). Are you sure they aren't related? That seems like just too big a coincidence!

--Dean

FWIW, I can attest that I am not "Mechanism" and that when I posted my HSP post, this thread did not exist (otherwise I would have posted here!) - it really appears that we must have posted within seconds of each other... certainly a spooky coincidence!

A bit on an aside but - Pretty amazing coincidence even with variables that may increase the probability such as recent publication of the aforementioned sauna study. I have some background in statistics and population-based research, and signal to noise problems can can be tricky (e.g.- is a cluster of brain cancer in a community the power lines or other environmental cause or merely statistical blip ). The best way to tell a random number generator from a human imitation is the former has more patterns and coincidences than we expect.

Our evolutionary biology perpetually has us looking for patterns so we are always finding the "face" of the moon, mythical stories in the constellations - Carl Sagan's book Demon Haunted World touched on this well. It's fun though when they arise - reminds me of the "infinite improbability drive" from the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Edited by Mechanism