Sensible Diet and Lifestyle Advice for Longevity

Hey Michael,

Nice to hear from you! I'm happy to see you dropping by here once in a while. I hope you are doing well. With April checking in just yesterday, it's like old home week around here :-).

59 minutes ago, Michael R said:

Dean, I've just come across this thorough and masterful demolition job, following a link I've just seen today via Iporuru. Very good work; thanks!

That was a fun takedown. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is great to see how much Mechanism has upped his game with respect to research and critical thinking since that time four years ago.

--Dean

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Michael R said:

Dean, I've just come across this thorough and masterful demolition job, following a link I've just seen today via Iporuru. Very good work; thanks!

And then This study was later posted and Deans response: 

Earlier in this thread I inquired about Jeff Novick's objection to EVOO as an additive in excess (excess of course being the in the eye of the beholder), as opposed to a substitute for saturated fat. Below I quote the relevant parts:

Mechanism, on 04 May 2016 - 7:00 PM, said: [...]

So in this thread, Jeff Novick, at the bottom of the page, makes a case it is not the olive oil per se that has health benefits, but rather due to confounding by other dietary and lifestyle factors that go with it. Here he refers to Br J Nutr. 2004 Jun;91(6):1013-9 where he comments:

"There is a fairly recent study done on the Isle of Crete, where the original famous Mediterranean diet of the 1960's came from. They looked at 304 patients In Crete, 152 patients with heart disease vs 152 without heart disease. The patients with heart disease had significantly higher daily intakes of monounsaturated fats (Olive Oil). The patients without heart disease had higher intakes of carbohydrates, fiber, folate & omega 3’s. The more mono unsaturated fat (olive oil) consumed, The more heart disease." [...he concluded..] "Those in the Mediterranean countries were healthy because they walked everywhere, did hard physical labor and ate an unrefined plant based diet. They were not healthy because of the olive oil in their diet but in spite of it

• Deans response below
  •  

Mechanism,

Thanks for digging into the evidence (or lackthereof) for benefits of EVOO. As I've said several times, these days I avoid EVOO and any oils in favor of nuts, seeds & avocados for my healthy fats - hence my disappointment at the CR Conference meals where high quality olive oil was plentiful, but where there were no other sources of healthy fat on offer.

Edited by Mike41