I'm drunk

Sthira

Do any of you hardcore peeps ever do that? I mean, I rarely do. Hate alco, actually. But tonight I was sorta forced into it due to biz shit, and, well, I can't really say I like being drunk. I've never been much of an alcohol person. Herb -- yes -- alcohol? Alcohol just kinda makes people stupid, slurry, violent, dangerous....

Anyway, I'm too light to be drinking like De Gray can apparently, but I kinda had to drink or else lose this that work I really needed. But drinking kinda sucks. How about you, fellow CR nerds: y'all ever get blitzed cuz of peer pressure shiz?

Hi Sthira, As a young man I was near alcoholic. The effect was glorious, a bit like a kind of ectasy. It still works, but not as well. In middle age My body rebelled. Hangovers were hellish and then my twin daughters were born and from then on never, ever got drunk again. So for many years I enjoyed a couple drinks in the evening and that was good enough.

Now at 63 I have completely gone dry and notice that it is overall a wise move from the standpoint of sleep architecture. Alchohol has a way of screwing it up as well as aging tends to do. Going dry means better sleep overall and that translates to a much improved quality of life, even though I still enjoy the buzz.

I figure it's genetics. Some people just don't respond to alchohol in a very positive way. It generally sucks; whereas others respond to it in a manner that is almost spiritual ha ha!

I find that 1-2 drinks per months with friends, family, etc., gains a massive amount of social approval from them - I look at it calorie wise.  It's 150-300 calories vs. say a single meal at a restaurant that would likely be 2-4x that amount.  It's a very minor deviation in my otherwise strict unrefined WFPB, mildly CR'ed lifestyle.  I also have alcoholism in my family and am a little scared that I could go down that path, so I avoid drinking in larger quantities.  Other than when I was a dumb teenager and got drunk all the time - I suppose that's the norm rather than the exception. 

Congratulations on freeing yourself from the nasty ravages of alcohol addiction, Mike. It must be a horrible condition. Yet also an understandable addiction since that poison is so incredibly dominant all around us. It's very difficult to not succumb to peer pressure around drinks. To me, alcohol is rot; this idea of promoting red wine as a health food seems like a lie. Doctors once promoted cigarettes for health; now it's "polyphenols" and "anti-oxidants" and "resveratrol" in red, red wine. Oh, the longevetigious (that ain't no word -- longevetigious) Sardinians drink a local red wine, therefore, it's good for me and you. I say I seriously doubt that it's healthy, but hey whoever wants to swig alco go for it, right?

The joke for me was I drank just two cups of red wine (399 kcal!) and since I'm so damned skinny I was really quite lit up and rosy-cheekedly slurring out silliness.

Archived