Scio - A Gadget that Scans Food to Reveal Its Nutritional Value

Thomas G

I know there is a cool tools thread, but I don't want to add this there because I take it that that is a place for tried and tested tools.

This seems like a very new and untested tool, but one that could be potentially very cool:

Curious just how many carbs and calories are sitting on your dinner plate? A new gadget promises to reveal the nutritional value of your meal by scanning its chemical makeup.

French startup DietSensor launched at the 2016 International Consumer Electronics Show a pocket-sized, Bluetooth-connected molecular sensor called SCiO. It uses near-infrared spectroscopy (the analysis of how molecules interact with light) to determine the chemical makeup of food and drink. SCiO can analyze substances based on how their molecules interact with light.

It sounds a little too good to be true. Has anyone tried anything like this? Does it really work? It certainly could come in very handy.

Thomas,

Yes that looks like really intriguing technology, if it really works.

But apparently you haven't been able to read every 2016 forum post - we've discussed the SCiO over here in the Cool Tools thread in early January. To your credit, you only claimed to have been trying to read every post this year (not necessarily that you've succeeded), so you're off the hook for having missed that one  That is especially true since it was a rare exception for that thread, in that we were talking about a product not yet available (their website still says they'll start shipping in Oct 2016).

Many of us are skeptical they can pull it off, and make it affordable, but it would/will be cool if they do!

--Dean

No worries Thomas,

It's good to have a separate thread for tracking the status of this cool device. I hope someone will eventually get a chance to try it and post a review.

What would really make it useful is if it could be configured to send data directly to CRON-O-Meter!

And remember, the search box at the top of every page, as well as the advanced search page, is your friend.

--Dean

Archived