The robots being built by Boston Dynamics (still a Google-owned company) continue to get creepier and more capable at the same time. Check out this latest video of a prototype future home robot, especially starting at 0:53.

Cute and scary at the same time. Like a cross between a puppy and a velociraptor...

As I've said, I think Google (and its minion companies like DeepMind and Boston Dynamics) are on course to take over the world in the next few decades... I'm doing what I can to prepare for it.

BTW, Robopocalypse is a really good Sci-Fi book by a former CMU robotics colleague.

--Dean

Sthira,

You're doing what you can to prepare for this by buying stock in Google? Huh?

What else do you propose?  I figure, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

Why does this fucking thing remind me of 9 cat beast?

There does appear to be a striking resemblance...

--Dean

Good answer: can't beat em join em. Probably you're better positioned than most to survive this: wealthy, rural, smart, healthy, conscious, keeping up with trends, growing your own produce, avoiding the city.... Me, I'm screwed unless I move in with parents or grandparents.

Maybe the upcoming robotic advance won't be as bad as we think? Maybe these things will serve to benefit humanity? Depends upon my mood whether I think they'll be overlords or intelligent servants looking out for our best interests. Some of both? You've got to admit, though, as a smart conscious person that "most people" are really pretty stupid and selfish and overpopulated and uncaringly spewing garbage. And so why should intelligent robots endure us? We, the infestation, Do we like and respect the rights of species on different branches of the life tree? Naw. When orangutan are in our way: fuck em. When we need to eat shrimp, we've no problem killing mountains of by catch. Treatment of chickens? Chickens are smarter than we give them credit. Treatment of cows, pigs, goats, sheep? Sheep, for example, are way way way more intelligent and subtle and interesting than we insensitive stupid humans give them credit. Ever spent time with goats? Goats are so cool and smart. I'm digressing but....

...When we hop in the ocean for a swim, we're no longer at the top of the food chain. But the difference here is that we won't be able to escape intelligent robots by getting out of the water. I think we're looking at humanity soon no longer as the most intelligent being at the top of the food chain. Maybe we'll be treated like friendly pets? And overpopulated unlucky adults will be housed and the unadopted, unloved will be gassed in humane society institutions. Eek. Live while we can, people.

Archived