Edited

Mechanism

Mechanism,

If even the California Avocado board isn't touting the benefits of eating the seed/pit and advocates against it, and both researchers and nutritionists are recommending against it too due to the very poorly understood risk/reward tradeoff, I'm personally sticking with eating only the flesh of my avocados.

--Dean

Mechanism,

Have others considered moderating / reducing avocado consumption also due to this research? 

Once again you didn't read carefully enough. If you had, you'd have seen in the "Doctor's Notes" section of the Dr. Greger avocado video page you linked this statement:

"To follow-up, see: Any update on the scary in vitro avocado data?"

in which Dr G. discusses an in vivo test of avocado flesh on prostate cancer risk in men, which found avocado to be quite beneficial rather than detrimental. He summarizes it as:

I’m happy to report that a new study [PMID 21984307] this year found avocado consumption associated with significantly reduced prostate cancer risk (a third cup of avocado a day or more associated with 60% decreased odds of prostate cancer compared to men eating less than a daily tablespoon). Holy guacamole!

As a result, Dr. Greger retracted his concern over avocados. In fact, he's gone further. In his book How Not To Die, and in this article, he includes avocados as one of "other fruit" in his Daily Dozen of foods to eat every day.

So once again it appears your alarmist concern over potential harm from fruits and vegetables is misplaced.

Regarding the rarely eaten pits and skins of fruits like avocado, all bets are off. I'm steering clear until more is known about risks vs. benefits.

--Dean

Archived