kimchi

Cloud

I really like sauerkraut, in the past I appreciated other fermented vegetables in macrobiotics restaurants.

Recently I found a reference to kimchi, a korean fermented recipe, in the book "The good gut" by Stanford University researchers.

And I decided to try to make kimchi. I followed the indications in the recipe here and I have to say that I am satisfied of the results. I like a lot kimchi.

And what about you? Do you eat kimchi or other fermented foods in your diet?

I love kimchi and fermented foods in general. However, it's important not to overdo it - Korea is one of those Asian countries that has very high levels of stomach cancer, which some blame on excessive amounts of salt consumed in foods like kimchi.

PMID: 15929164

Kimchi and soybean pastes are risk factors of gastric cancer. (full text link)

CONCLUSION: Kimchi, soybean pastes, and the CYP1A1 Ile/Val or Val/Val are risk factors, and nonfermented seafood and alliums are protective factors against gastric cancer in Koreans. Salt or some chemicals contained in kimchi and soybean pastes, which are increased by fermentation, would play important roles in the carcinogenesis of stomach cancer. Polymorphisms of the CYP1A1, CYP2E1, GSTM1, GSTT1, and ALDH2 genes could modify the effects of some environmental factors on the risk of gastric cancer.

PMID: 11802218

Dietary factors and gastric cancer in Korea: A case-control study (full text link)

In this study, intake of total vegetables was shown to have a protective effect, whereas high nitrate-containing vegetables increased the risk of GC. In conclusion, our study suggests that the risk of GC decreased with high consumption of fresh vegetables and fruits, whereas high consumption of foods rich in nitrate and carcinogenic substances produced during the cooking process increased the risk of GC.

• 3 years later...

Absolutely love kimchi and other fermented similar treats. Unfortunately, they pack an astronomically high amount of sodium. I tried making my own at home with minimal sodium and it didn't work and tasted pretty bad. Wish there was a workaround. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...