How does one make cole slaw more palatable?

Alex K Chen

Cole slaw is dirt cheap (matters for someone who eats 5 bags of vegetables each day), and is mostly composed of cabbage (which is low in pesticides and healthy). The main issue is that it doesn't really taste like food. Does anyone know of clever low-calorie ways to make it more palatable (and that mix well with it)? No-salt seasoning? Salsa?

I don't eat "cole slaw" but I eat a lot of fresh cabbage which is probably even cheaper than cole slaw. Mostly I shred it and then microwave it lightly to slightly soften it often with other vegetables or fruits. I like it plain but often put something on it such as splashes of evoo and red wine vinegar. It seems to take most any sauce well. Yesterday I made a sauce from three slightly under ripe pie apples from our tree, microwaved until soft and then mashed with rice wine vinegar, mustard, minced shallots and a tiny hot pepper, tumeric, a teaspoon of evoo and a pinch of salt. I thought it was delicious though everything seems to taste good while I've been dieting.

Cabbage is fairly easy and satisfying to chop/shred.  For myself, usually I 'shred' it with a large sharp knife with some curve to the blade.   I rock the knife up/down against the cutting board with one hand while slowly feeding a chunk of cabbage into the cutting action with the other hand with knuckles high and extended forward and finger tips curled back away from the cutting action such that if I clumsily push too far my knuckles strike the side of the knife instead of pushing my finger tips under it.   Depending on how fine a texture I seek I may go back and forth with the knife over the resulting pile one or more times.  Watch youtube videos to learn about the great variety of kitchen knives and techniques for using them.

If I'm preparing a large quantity I'll use our old Cuisinart food processor for which we have a variety of shredding and chopping blades.

Do you think it's worth your time? Couldn't you just get cole slaw instead and edit Wikipedia articles for money (see https://github.com/vipulnaik/working-drafts/blob/master/contributor-lists/akc-list.mediawikifor example)  to make up for the time you spend cutting up cabbage/onions/other vegetables?

Archived