Is it possible to have fine taste in antioxidant-rich veggies (like cabbage/broccoli/etc)?

InquilineKea

For taste you need to grow your own.  Stores carry very few varieties and only those with the best shipping and storage properties.  They NEVER offer the better tasting varieties of produce (or eggs, meat, milk or anything else).

Sometimes you can find better varieties at farmer's markets.

I get most of my info from seed sellers or from garden club seed swaps.  As for cabbage there are surely several hundred varieties of seed available.  Unfortunately when it comes to growing, it is a bit more complicated than merely searching "tastiest cabbage varieties" as one needs to find varieties that do well in the growing conditions one is able to provide.  But do some googling, learn about varieties and see if you can find something tastier perhaps in a local farmer's market.

why don't we have broccoli/cabbage tasting experiences in the same way we have those for wine or olive oil?

As a fellow INTP, I like the way you think, although I'm not completely sure I understand what you were getting at here.  That said, look for local groups that may be of interest to you.  I am a member of the Backyard Fruit Growers -- it's a weird group (about 350 members) mostly from eastern Pennsylvania, definitely an "older" crowd on average (sadly) but that doesn't bother me.  Collectively we grow over 400 varieties of apples and members (including myself) are constantly trying to create new varieties.  These guys have been inspirational to me, and I have learned so much from them related to grafting, pruning, hand pollinating for variety development, bee keeping, etc.  Besides apples, there is a keen interest in almost all types of fruit that grow in our area, the most interest seems to be in paw-paws, quince, pears, figs, peaches, currants, persimmons, plums, nut trees, cherries, kiwi, grapes, apricots, and all types of ground berries.  

Anyway, every year in October they do a big tasting event, apples are the main focus, but people bring all sorts of interesting home grown nuts, paw-paws, and other fruits and veges.  The tasting is always at the same Amish farm in Lancaster PA.  If anyone is interested in a little tourism, that would make a good destination, and it's just $15 for a 2 year membership which gets you in to the tasting (tons of other great things to do and see in this area).

I could envision an even wider group like the "Produce Enthusiasts" that did vege tastings and/or just more tastings in general throughout the year.  I'm sure something like this exists somewhere, although I'm not aware of a group like that in my area.  BYFG is good enough for me.  I'd imagine it might be difficult to start something like that and keep it going, but could be worth the effort.  I'd love to taste 20 different varietie of broccoli, haha, but I'm not sure how many other people would ;)

-Gordo

Archived