drewab

Post a picture of what you just ate

Caitlin, ditto for myself, I'm very curious about the eating habits of other health-conscious people. I'll add more pics from my diet.

1 - fruit, nuts and vitamin K2-rich homemade cheese from kefir

post-7347-0-08748100-1490304343_thumb.jpg

2-Incredibly good-tasting oranges from the Etna region, Sicily. I can eat up to 2.2 pounds of these. I also eat the untreated skin (some of it)

post-7347-0-31209800-1490304417_thumb.jpg

3-Swiss chards steamed with little water. The stalks come in 3 colors: white, red, yellow.

post-7347-0-00911900-1490304493_thumb.jpg

4-Veggies, black beans and pumpernickel bread

post-7347-0-11556400-1490304586_thumb.jpg

5-Turmeric-laden steamed cauliflowers

post-7347-0-06799800-1490304635_thumb.jpg

6-garbanzo beans plus a local vegetable

post-7347-0-52656200-1490304676_thumb.jpg

7-black beans, usually a few tablespoonfuls mixed to vegetables 

post-7347-0-38399700-1490304717_thumb.jpg

Edited by mccoy

That cauliflower looks delicious. I keep trying to add more turmeric to my evening meal every day so that I get 1-2 tsp a day in my diet.

Quinoa with avacado, peppers and other veggies. A little cilantro and a bit of fish sauce, give this dish an Asian flavor. Very light and fresh

post-7542-0-48650800-1511391942_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pryme

Vegan Lasagna. You would swear the tofu and white bean mix was ricotta. Very tasty. Topped with crushed red pepper and a little hot sauce on mine.

post-7542-0-11383400-1511392172_thumb.jpg

Todd, you're right.  My take was that Gordo was showing us a collection of food from which his meal was taken -- not that he ate all of that. 

Also, I avoid sweet potatoes, as they're too starchy and high in calories.  Rarely, I eat part of a small raw blue organic Japanese sweet potato.  (I haven't done that for over a year.)

--  Saul

Haha, you guys are funny.  FYI: a relative sent me (by snail mail) an article about the oldest living person in the US who just recently died (114) and in the article it said she claimed that she ate a sweet potato per day (the long lived Okinawans also purportedly ate daily sweet potatoes).  This person sent me the article because she knew that I like sweet potatoes and I also eat them almost every day.  So I took that picture of my lunch to send back to her. 

I ate the below meal outside with no shirt on, 30F temperature the other day while getting sun exposure, hah!  Its 26F today and sunny, I may try to find what my limit actually is.  It's the wind that really gets me, no wind and its quite enjoyable.

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

IMG_2864.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

Edited by Gordo

5 hours ago, mccoy said:

What's the powdery dressing upon the garbanzo beans?

Chia seed, flax seed, black pepper, turmeric, and a rotation of spices such as cummin/corriander/garam masala.

14 hours ago, Gordo said:

Chia seed, flax seed, black pepper, turmeric, and a rotation of spices such as cummin/corriander/garam masala.

👍👍👍

Interesting, I stumbled across this article today about a guy who analyzed his gut microbiome 600 times:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/31/former-apple-engineer-analyzes-microbiome-what-he-learned.html?__source=twitter|main&fbclid=IwAR2v541R03qo-I_3m76Qarm4EJLCx0pYn62wewEsYBneWoBVSeXd5wf7Vdk

He made an interesting connection between potatoes and great sleep!  I eat a sweet potato pretty much every day, and also sleep well, I wonder if there really is a connection, it says:

• Diet can have a big impact on Sprague's sleep. He noticed that when he ate potato starch, he was able to increase the amount of a microbe called bifidobacterium, an ingredient found in many commercial probiotics, in his gut. "I learned that this microbe likes to eat a particular kind of resistant starch in potatoes, so I'd drink it about 8 hours before sleep and tested myself," he explained. "I saw a bloom (of it), and sure enough, my sleep that night was amazing." He believes it increased his levels of melatonin, which induces sleep.

FYI Peru has some fantastic blueberries right now, showing up in the US, only $1.39/pint at my local Aldi. This seems to be an especially good year! Highly recommend.

53AF2438-CBC0-419D-AC5D-A8D9048D6F0E.jpeg

Fredrick, that's a good meal, but you should probably add spices and also some tomato sauce or some hypocaloric dressing to make it more palatable. Also, flaxseeds need to be ground, otherwise, they are not digested.

Edited by mccoy

Our Google Hangouts chat today made me reflect how my meals have evolved in the last 4 years.  Certainly lower net-carbohydrate over time, but the big picture is the same, remaining mostly vegan ( except for one meal a week with seafood depicted below) and remains free from any added sugar or sweeteners nor wheat/flour and is whole foods based - minimally processed and unrefined unless you count home-made nut-based turmeric "golden milk", home made ground turmeric paste, 100% cacao nibs, etc.   Not depicted here are some fun odds and ends like crushed garlic, lemon and apple peel, tea and spice medleys, avocado, kimchi, black and green olives and lots of other other veggies not shown ( at least several dozen), etc.    The square containers are 4-cup size, the rectangular one is 6-cup size - alltogether about 6-7 pounds of delicious wholesomeness.

I no longer have purple sweet potatoes, tiger nuts, and natto as regular staples though I have nothing against them and encourage others they are great for most individuals and circumstances as diet quality enhancers.  Every so often I have a little legume (peas, unprocessed soy products, lentils, etc.) but mostly just have small amounts of mixed berries as my higher carb yet keto-friendly indulgence -- these days I am in ketosis most of the time and sharply so when I fast.  Nuts and to a lesser extent often supply the lion’s share of calories and can be as high as 200-400 g ( yes that's grams of nuts/seeds, not calories!) range.  EVOO for in cooked foods and avocado and a few olives also.  

In essence, a  kind of mild to modest CR ( and comparatively stronger net-calorie CR via postprandial exercise and sustained throughout the day) at the low end of ideal BMI range at the highest, ketosis on a low net-carbohydrate OMAD / modified 5:2 (one of those two days a partial fast of non-starchy veggies plus an avocado, the other a complete water fast), and moderated methionine combo with longer annual fasts and plenty of biohacks ( ample and varied exercise, cold exposure, sauna, etc) on the side 🙂 

888997730_breakfastmeal.thumb.JPG.0cd5d62dde62e64071a15c7fa231b58f.JPG

Edited by Mechanism

Very interesting regime, perhaps similar to the nutritarian diet proposed by Dr Fuhrman but stricter, with a keto-nuance. I wonder if you've tracked an average week with cronometer.