• Create Account       

Photo

What's an ideal way to incorporate coconut flavors without concern over SFA?

saturated fat SFA coconut

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sirtuin

sirtuin
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:32 PM

I haven't had anything coconut flavored in a while, and lately I'm craving it.   In the past, I used to cook with a lot of coconut oil but I had high LDL / LDL-P.  While pulling back on SFA, my LDL-P stabilized under 1,000 and my total cholesterol dropped under 150 with HDL and LDL on near equal terms far above triglycerides -- I do believe this was a better situation for my lipids.

I'm looking at:

• Young Coconuts -- Pulling the meat out (PITA?) and blending with some of the coconut water to make a fresh coconut milk.
  • Mature Coconut Meat
  • Dried Shredded Coconut / Coconut Flakes / Coconut Chips
  • Coconut Flour (defatted)
  • Coconut Manna / Coconut Butter
  • Coconut Milk / Coconut Cream -- full fat in the can, or something like the Silk product (less fat, but lots of additives)
  • Cultured Coconut Milk "Yogurt" -- This seems to come with sugar and additives.
  • Coconut Milk Kefir -- I like the idea of this one, but it seems like a PITA to make and I don't see it offered commercially.
  • Something with "Coconut Flavor" (eg. Coconut Flavored vegan protein or "Coconut Flavor" extract.)

What's an ideal coconut product and safe amount to consume?  I can probably water these down quite a bit.  I'm looking to throw it over some berries or add to fresh-ground nut butter, or maybe in a drink of some sort.

Edited by sirtuin, 15 August 2016 - 04:55 PM.

#2 drewab

drewab
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:35 PM

This may or may not answer your question, but in the China Study Solution, Dr. Campbell (or perhaps technically his son) mentions that consumption of whole coconuts is fine. I don't personally do this as I question the SFA just like you.  But consumption of SFA from a whole plant food might not be unhealthy. If i'm eating at a gourmet plant based restaurant, I partake in coconut, and in the occasionally date/nut/coconut truffle, but it's only a few times a year.

Costco does sell organic coconut flesh in huge bags with no added ingredients.

#3 VeganCarbSmart

VeganCarbSmart
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

I haven't had anything coconut flavored in a while, and lately I'm craving it.   In the past, I used to cook with a lot of coconut oil but I had high LDL / LDL-P.  While pulling back on SFA, my LDL-P stabilized under 1,000 and my total cholesterol dropped under 150 with HDL and LDL on near equal terms far above triglycerides -- I do believe this was a better situation for my lipids.

I'm looking at:

• Young Coconuts -- Pulling the meat out (PITA?) and blending with some of the coconut water to make a fresh coconut milk.
  • Mature Coconut Meat
  • Dried Shredded Coconut / Coconut Flakes / Coconut Chips
  • Coconut Flour (defatted)
  • Coconut Manna / Coconut Butter
  • Coconut Milk / Coconut Cream -- full fat in the can, or something like the Silk product (less fat, but lots of additives)
  • Cultured Coconut Milk "Yogurt" -- This seems to come with sugar and additives.
  • Coconut Milk Kefir -- I like the idea of this one, but it seems like a PITA to make and I don't see it offered commercially.
  • Something with "Coconut Flavor" (eg. Coconut Flavored vegan protein or "Coconut Flavor" extract.)

What's an ideal coconut product and safe amount to consume?  I can probably water these down quite a bit.  I'm looking to throw it over some berries or add to fresh-ground nut butter, or maybe in a drink of some sort.

What solutions did you come-up with? Sometimes just eating one serving or one meal of any favorite item about once a month or even once a week should do no harm.

#4 drewab

drewab
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:01 AM

https://nutritionfac...conut-oil-mcts/

Make me think one should avoid all coconut products.

Edited by drewab, 01 October 2017 - 08:02 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: saturated fat, SFA, coconut