I haven't had anything coconut flavored in a while, and lately I'm craving it. In the past, I used to cook with a lot of coconut oil but I had high LDL / LDL-P. While pulling back on SFA, my LDL-P stabilized under 1,000 and my total cholesterol dropped under 150 with HDL and LDL on near equal terms far above triglycerides -- I do believe this was a better situation for my lipids.
I'm looking at:
- Young Coconuts -- Pulling the meat out (PITA?) and blending with some of the coconut water to make a fresh coconut milk.
- Mature Coconut Meat
- Dried Shredded Coconut / Coconut Flakes / Coconut Chips
- Coconut Flour (defatted)
- Coconut Manna / Coconut Butter
- Coconut Milk / Coconut Cream -- full fat in the can, or something like the Silk product (less fat, but lots of additives)
- Cultured Coconut Milk "Yogurt" -- This seems to come with sugar and additives.
- Coconut Milk Kefir -- I like the idea of this one, but it seems like a PITA to make and I don't see it offered commercially.
- Something with "Coconut Flavor" (eg. Coconut Flavored vegan protein or "Coconut Flavor" extract.)
What's an ideal coconut product and safe amount to consume? I can probably water these down quite a bit. I'm looking to throw it over some berries or add to fresh-ground nut butter, or maybe in a drink of some sort.
Edited by sirtuin, 15 August 2016 - 04:55 PM.