What's an ideal way to incorporate coconut flavors without concern over SFA?

sirtuin

I haven't had anything coconut flavored in a while, and lately I'm craving it.   In the past, I used to cook with a lot of coconut oil but I had high LDL / LDL-P.  While pulling back on SFA, my LDL-P stabilized under 1,000 and my total cholesterol dropped under 150 with HDL and LDL on near equal terms far above triglycerides -- I do believe this was a better situation for my lipids.

I'm looking at:

• Young Coconuts -- Pulling the meat out (PITA?) and blending with some of the coconut water to make a fresh coconut milk.
  • Mature Coconut Meat
  • Dried Shredded Coconut / Coconut Flakes / Coconut Chips
  • Coconut Flour (defatted)
  • Coconut Manna / Coconut Butter
  • Coconut Milk / Coconut Cream -- full fat in the can, or something like the Silk product (less fat, but lots of additives)
  • Cultured Coconut Milk "Yogurt" -- This seems to come with sugar and additives.
  • Coconut Milk Kefir -- I like the idea of this one, but it seems like a PITA to make and I don't see it offered commercially.
  • Something with "Coconut Flavor" (eg. Coconut Flavored vegan protein or "Coconut Flavor" extract.)

What's an ideal coconut product and safe amount to consume?  I can probably water these down quite a bit.  I'm looking to throw it over some berries or add to fresh-ground nut butter, or maybe in a drink of some sort.

This may or may not answer your question, but in the China Study Solution, Dr. Campbell (or perhaps technically his son) mentions that consumption of whole coconuts is fine. I don't personally do this as I question the SFA just like you.  But consumption of SFA from a whole plant food might not be unhealthy. If i'm eating at a gourmet plant based restaurant, I partake in coconut, and in the occasionally date/nut/coconut truffle, but it's only a few times a year.

Costco does sell organic coconut flesh in huge bags with no added ingredients.

• 1 year later...

I haven't had anything coconut flavored in a while, and lately I'm craving it.   In the past, I used to cook with a lot of coconut oil but I had high LDL / LDL-P.  While pulling back on SFA, my LDL-P stabilized under 1,000 and my total cholesterol dropped under 150 with HDL and LDL on near equal terms far above triglycerides -- I do believe this was a better situation for my lipids.

I'm looking at:

• Young Coconuts -- Pulling the meat out (PITA?) and blending with some of the coconut water to make a fresh coconut milk.
  • Mature Coconut Meat
  • Dried Shredded Coconut / Coconut Flakes / Coconut Chips
  • Coconut Flour (defatted)
  • Coconut Manna / Coconut Butter
  • Coconut Milk / Coconut Cream -- full fat in the can, or something like the Silk product (less fat, but lots of additives)
  • Cultured Coconut Milk "Yogurt" -- This seems to come with sugar and additives.
  • Coconut Milk Kefir -- I like the idea of this one, but it seems like a PITA to make and I don't see it offered commercially.
  • Something with "Coconut Flavor" (eg. Coconut Flavored vegan protein or "Coconut Flavor" extract.)

What's an ideal coconut product and safe amount to consume?  I can probably water these down quite a bit.  I'm looking to throw it over some berries or add to fresh-ground nut butter, or maybe in a drink of some sort.

What solutions did you come-up with? Sometimes just eating one serving or one meal of any favorite item about once a month or even once a week should do no harm.

Archived