Suffering

Sthira

Dean,

Thanks for the instructions on Youtube videos - let me give it a test by sharing another video that might help alleviate suffering.

And on a CR related note, notice the highlanders of Papua, New Guinea who live almost solely on sweet potato. They are jacked!

See it worked Drew.

Wow - that Matt really gets around!

For anyone who wants more background, Matt (Harding) has made 5 such inspirational dance videos from around the world since 2005. The  2012 one Drew shared is the largest and most elaborate. In it, Matt visits and dances with people in 71 locations spanning 55 countries and 11 US states. What an amazing guy, and incredible adventure!

--Dean

For those struggling with depression, it looks like this might be a pretty big breakthrough in our understanding of the neurological underpinnings of the disorder. From this article on the study:

According to a new study, the physical roots of depression are tied to increased functional connectivity between a brain region that is associated with not receiving rewards and punishing events (the lateral orbitofrontal cortex) and an area of the brain involved in someone’s sense of self (the precuneus). This cutting-edge discovery was published today in the journal Brain.

For this study, 909 people (421 patients with major depressive disorder and 488 control subjects) had their brains scanned using advanced MRI neuroimaging technology. Then, the international team of researchers analyzed each person’s functional connectivity between different brain regions. The scientists were able to pinpoint specific neural networks and patterns of functional connectivity between brain regions associated with depression.

Specifically, the researchers found that depression is linked to altered connectivity within various regions of the orbitofrontal cortex (OFC). Interestingly, the medial OFC ‘reward’ systems and lateral OFC ‘non-reward’ systems change connectivity in opposite directions. These findings help to explain the neurobiological underpinnings of how depression is linked with the dejected feeling of not receiving a reward, unhappy memories, and low self-esteem.

It's not a cure or even a treatment yet, but the researchers are optimistic that this discovery will help with the development of treatments:

The good news is that these groundbreaking discoveries could lead to revolutionary breakthroughs in the clinical treatment of depression. Unearthing the root cause of depressive disorders could lead to new psychopharmacological treatments. These findings might also result in targeted cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) interventions to help those with depression curtail rumination and negative thinking.

Speaking of what to do about unhappy memories - I'm in the midst of re-watching Jim Carrey's very thought-provoking movie on the topic, Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind. As this movie suggests, and my personal experience supports, trying to forget unhappy past episodes isn't the best approach to dealing with ruminations.

--Dean

Speaking of what to do about unhappy memories - I'm in the midst of re-watching Jim Carrey's very thought-provoking movie on the topic, Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind. As this movie suggests, and my personal experience supports, trying to forget unhappy past episodes isn't the best approach to dealing with ruminations.

--Dean

Actually that's Michel Gondry's work -- one of the greatest directors of our time, and also a fellow sufferer of the black dog. He's brilliant, all of his dear work finds me not so alone in the misery.

Archived