Valter Longo interviewed by Rhonda

Danielovich

Just to clarify, when I suggested eating more calories leading up to a fast, I wasn't talking about gorging myself. One of my concerns with a fast is that I will lose weight too quickly. Right now I've got chronometer set to lose 0.5 pounds a week. I was thinking that in the week prior to a 5 day water fast I should switch chronometer to gain one pound a week. 

After the refeeding maybe go a couple of days at the gain a pound a week and then revert back to losing 0.5 pounds a week. That way the fast overall wouldn't throw me too far off course. But maybe I'm over thinking this.

Right now I'm thinking that the second week of Nov. might be a good time to try a 5 day fast.

Thomas, the weight loss is individual, in my case it is 2.2 pounds per day. Some people loose one pound a day, this in the first few days of fast, after 7-10 days the weightloss rate should decrease.

A lot of the lost weight is water of course. You are going to regain the lost weight after about one week. So you might just think about the fast as an off-chronometer spell at the end of wich you should be at the starting point.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with McCoy and my weight loss while fasting seems like water loss, and weight post-fast goes right back up after a day or two. One thing Fung writes is that continuous CR appears to slow metabolism while intermediate and longer term fasting appears to speed up metabolism. No idea which is right -- individualized to you, you unique snowflake, is my opinion. But if we slow metabolism then weight comes up easier; if we speed metabolism then it's harder to regain lost weight.

• 3 months later...

Please note that, as far as I understood, his longevity diet has the purpose to downregulate the mTOR and IIS (Insuline+IGF1 signaling) metabolic pathways in a repair & manteinance mode.

Whereas his FMD has the specific purpose to increase the regenaration biomarkers and  the immune system by hemopoietic stem cells rejuvenation.

My impression was that the motivation for FMD was solely to make the fasting easier without decreasing regeneration bio markers. Please correct me if this assumption is wrong.

Regards

Randy

Please note that, as far as I understood, his longevity diet has the purpose to downregulate the mTOR and IIS (Insuline+IGF1 signaling) metabolic pathways in a repair & manteinance mode.

Whereas his FMD has the specific purpose to increase the regenaration biomarkers and the immune system by hemopoietic stem cells rejuvenation.

My impression was that the motivation for FMD was solely to make the fasting easier without decreasing regeneration bio markers. Please correct me if this assumption is wrong.

Regards

Randy

And safer. Fasting (even low cal fasting mimicking) can be dangerous for some.

Whereas his FMD has the specific purpose to increase the regenaration biomarkers and  the immune system by hemopoietic stem cells rejuvenation.

Regards

Randy

Exactly, that's what Longo writes in his book. The idea was a good one indeed.

• 1 year later...

Archived