Sign in to follow this  
Mechanism

Best sardine sourcing: In olive oil vs water vs. tomato

I have small amounts of sardines as one of my basic staples, maybe on average the equivalent of a 4.25 ounce BPA-free can of sardines weekly ( more often than weekly but in smaller portions so it may come to around that). 

By default I have sardines "in spring water" - I tend to like "naked" clean foods - and who needs the sodium or anything else that might come in a can besides the whole food itself.  I was thinking, though, that in theory even though the sardines taste consistently fresh, that immersing the sardine in an anti-oxidant such as olive oil or tomatoes prior to shipping may in theory reduce pre-spoilage oxidation of the polyunsaturated omega (and other) oils that fish are so famous for.

Convenience is a factor for my family so our choices tend to be what is available to us at the local coop ( unless a much better source can be had, and would consider it):

1) Henry and Lisa's Sardines in water ( http://www.ecofish.com/products/consumers_products.htm#c_sardine

2) Henry and Lisa's Sardines in EVOO (  http://www.ecofish.com/products/consumers_products.htm#c_sardine )

(I know same link for above two)

3) Wild planet's wild sardines in marinara sauce ( http://www.wildplanetfoods.com/product/wild-pacific-sardines-in-marinara-sauce/ )

My favorite is #1, #2, and #3 in that order but  I would seriously consider changing the usual sardines or ( perhaps alternating which I suppose can be a hedge pros/cons if the evidence/choices/differences  are equivocal/trivial.  

I appreciate some of the benefits of EVOO from your posts Michael R ( and the independent research these and other posts encouraged me to subsequently pursue), however I wonder since we don't know the sourcing of the EVOO whether any potential/hypothetical benefits of preserving in EVOO would be more than offset by either oxidation and/or poor sourcing of said EVOO that Henry & Lisa's may use.  Would be interested in thoughts on the best selection(s) of the three.

PS - have also tried mackrel in cans but as far as I was able to discern these tend to be higher mercury without proportionate increases in omega-3 content unless others see specific benefit there aside from perhaps an argument for a bit of diversification. Now salmon is another matter - I do have these more in larger portions when I have them ( salmon: more mercury, but more omega-3 relative to sardines), however I only have salmon occasionally when eating out and it is not a "basic staple" at home like the sardines.  Michael & others wen dining out, do you order salmon with EVOO or have them Poached - would love to hear arguments here too :)

Edited by Mechanism

One addendum here - I see options for sardines in regular OO and would be interested if thoughts on the post above would differ regarding the order of best sourcing ( options 1, 2, and 3) if the EVOO option was not available and the sardines were only available in conventional olive oil.

Edited by Mechanism

Hi Mechanism!

At my local supermarket (the original Wegman's, in Pittsford Plaza, Rochester, NY), you can buy wild raw sardines -- not canned.  Rarely, I buy them, and my wife cooks them (they're sot sashimi quality).

--  Saul