Best practical antioxidants?

mccoy

I googled antioxidants but I get lots of heterogenous material. The ORAC list is interesting but mostly they are spices, which can be ingested in modest amounts. Also, the ORAC values applicability to humans are being challenged, apparently.

Do you guys have a list of 'superfoods' which supply abundant phytochemiclas and antioxidants? Cranberry, apple and red globe grapes (all with skins) we have seen in the other thread. Any real practical benefit to the consumption of wild berries like goji, maqui, acai and others (many antioxidants but costly and eatable in small quantities, unless they contain some particularly powerful compound)? Common berries, Black tomatoes, purple potatoes, is just something else which comes in my mind. But I have no scientific references. Cocoa is also high in the ORAC scorelist.

Sorry but a search in the 'forums' section here yielded no specific topics.

Glutathione is supposed to be a very good anti-oxidant but it doesn't appear ingesting it either in food or supplements significantly raises level in the body.  Exercise, heat stress and I think caloric restriction or fasting can boost levels, assisted by adequate vitamin D and cysteine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutathione

And I've seen astaxanthin heavily hyped, but the wikipedia page suggests one might do as well eating carrots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astaxanthin

Other things I've seen hyped such as garlic and vitamin E one can also find negative aspects.

Its worth pointing out first that "antioxidants" in and of themselves are actually controversial and possibly worthless.  See: The case against antioxidants.

That said, foods high in antioxidants are also typically high in phytonutrients, and this is where the gold is.

The first line foods, well documented for boosting the immune system, includes alliums, cruciferous veges, and mushrooms (see the book "Super Immunity").  Beyond that, nuts, especially walnuts are near the top, and anything pungent or spicy (things like ginger root, red onions, garlic, hot peppers).  Almost any fruit or vege that is dark (black, blue, red) is going to be loaded with phytonutrients.  Black rice has as many anthocyanins as blueberries and it's a lot cheaper. (not sure about arsenic in it though).  Beets, cherries, all berries are also top of my list as well as whole grains and seeds.

There are a lot of obscure or expensive things like the goji berries you mentioned, I do eat some of these things, but not in large quantities, and I don't really think its all that important to do so.  I planted my own goji berry plants, but they are nutrient hogs and pretty low yielding on a pound for pound basis - you are better off planting blackberries in my opinion.

A list that came up in a quick search;

Green

Artichokes Asparagus Avocados Bok choy* Broccoli* Brussels sprouts* Cabbage* Cilantro Collard greens* Greens (leafy) Kale* Kiwi Lettuce Okra Parsley Spinach Turnip greens* Watercress*

Red

Apples (w/skin) Beets Cherries Cranberries Grapefruit Pomegranates Radishes* Raspberries Red grapes Red peppers Strawberries Tomatoes Watermelon

Yellow/Orange

Apricots Cantaloupe Carrots Guava Mango Oranges Papaya Peaches Pumpkin Squash (butternut) Sweet potatoes Tangerine Turmeric

Blue/Purple

Blackberries Blueberries Eggplant Plums or prunes

White

Cauliflower* Garlic Onions

Other

Dried beans Flax seeds Ginger Green or black tea Legumes Nuts Soy products Whole grains

Gordo, yes I agree, maybe it's better, more rigorous, to talk in terms of 'healthy phytochemicals' or 'antiaging phytochemicals' rather than antioxidants, which is a term though which is more understandable by the general public.

Does the list you linked stand for anti-aging phytochemicals? Do we have a few known compounds which dominate the antiaging scene?

I pretty much appreciated the way the articles on apples you linked in the other thread desctibed the various phytochemicals and their specific action on health.

My practical interest in the topic is also related to a plan I and friends have to grow our own phytochemical-rich products. After reading the article on apples, for example, Fuji apples would be a favourite choice. 

12937_2004_Article_29_Fig2_HTML.jpg

Archived