Rapamycin old stuff now ?

mccoy

I've been instantaneously attracted by this article (apparently not yet in Al's pater lists, as far as I could search).

Gerosuppression by pan-mTOR inhibitors

These guys make rapamycin sound like kids' stuff. They are called paninhibitors because, unlike Rapamycin which only inhibits mTORC1, these pan-gerosuppressants allegedly inhibit both mTOR complexes 1 and 2.

The discussed compounds are named Torin1, Torin 2, AZD8055, PP242, KU-006379 and GSK1059615

Good find, mccoy - the only interim hope we have as far as genuinely impacting aging is through pharmaceutical interventions. Rapa has obviously been on the radar for quite a while, but folks have been scared off by potential side effects. This new find sounds quite intriguing but it's very, very early as yet. Too bad the rate of progress is so slow, and we're all getting too old to ever benefit. By the time something like this has been properly vetted, we'll be dead and buried :)

... Too bad the rate of progress is so slow, and we're all getting too old to ever benefit. By the time something like this has been properly vetted, we'll be dead and buried :)

Tombavoider, I notice that today optimism is not exactly devouring you! Although, inasmuch as I could understand and infer from other fields, longevity is most probably genetically-governed and our attempts at stealing a few more years from the grim reaper may seem almost futile.

My post was just pinpointing a curiosity, although I imagine that a real, sensational, harmless breakthrough longevity-enhancing molecule would draw so many dollars in research after the initial experimentation that its complete development would be accelerated significantly. The danger is that science (big-pharma) finally will be able to offer the magic molecule, at a price which is unaffordable to most people. Social disorders would ensue, and so on and so forth.

Anyway, I'm even more pessimistic in the sense that I really doubt that science will be able to find longevity enhancing compounds with no collateral effects. Also, one line of reasoning is that those negative effect might be long-term hence not manifested at the beginning. Final result would be a life truncation, rather than a life extension.

About SENS, I still cannot start and examine the matter so I cannot pronounce myself.

• 1 month later...

If this works in dogs, you'll see people who don't have the time to wait (folks in, say, their 60's), go and grab the rapa prescription for their dog and gobble it up :)

Good point, I didn't even consider that this might just be a back door way of getting this drug "out there", plus Americans love their dogs, so it's also a way to spread the word. They claim preliminary results are positive...

Archived