Adzuki beans: The best source of polyphenols/price

Burak

They are also easier to eat in high quantities compares to lightweight spices and herbs. The source is:

http://phenol-explorer.eu/contents/polyphenol/731?utf8=%E2%9C%93&options%5Blist_format%5D=list&options%5Bsort_by%5D=by_average&options%5Bempty_rows%5D=off&options%5Bunit_type%5D=weight

The only problem is that the effects (bioavailability) of bean&lentil polyphenols are not well researched compared to EVOO, red wine, cacao etc. There are some studies that can be found in PubMed but meh. I think we won't see much studies on beans&lentils because there is no controversy about their health benefits I guess, not to mentions they are very cheap so it is hard make money out of it. 

Very interesting data, burak, 9 grams/100 g is huge. Also I noticed that other common beans are located in the region of 5 grams/100 grams and that's conspicuos. Since I'm attending thsi forum I've started eating beans, even though in modest amounts.

Of course it would be interesting to dissect the various kinds of polyphenols and their selective effects.

I'm pretty much fascinated by the cocoa polyphenols, maybe because eating them is so easy!! (-) Epicatechin (and its polymers) seems to be a main factor here.

Also, cloves are top of the list with 16% in weight polyphenols. Even though the amounts ingested can be minimal, I wonder if they have some particular potency. If I were retired I would spend most of my days reading all the articles linked by the database.

Thank you for this helpful thread: adzuki beans for the win! I've been fogged up in chickpea and red kidney bean stews for several long years (not to mention my black beans excitement) so just now I'm eating my first adzuki beans (canned; "Eden Organic;" yikes look at the added kombu seaweed, and since Eden is evidently now in Michigan, USA, I wonder where they even find seaweed -- the Great Lakes?)

Thank you for shifting my diet more Adzuki-ward!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The only problem is that the effects (bioavailability) of bean&lentil polyphenols are not well researched compared to EVOO, red wine, cacao etc.

The question is only secondarily the bioavailability: the question is whether there is actually any actual health benefit from the specific phenolics present in Adzuki beans, and in that food matrix. No one should be eating something simply because it contains (some form of) phenolics.

I think we won't see much studies on beans&lentils because there is no controversy about their health benefits I guess, not to mentions they are very cheap so it is hard make money out of it.

Normally, the controversy only starts after people start making claims about it, and particularly after research is published and criticized. Goji berries were completely uncontroversial twenty years ago ;) .

Archived