Identical Twins, Triplets - different DNA results from testing companies

TomBAvoider

You'd think that if the same egg and sperm were split, you'd expect to get the same information regarding for example your ancestry information. Yet, that is not so - f.ex. 23andme has differing results, explained by them as "we only have 50% confindence levels"... so much for how reliable these are - the FDA rightly rapped their knuckles over their testing methodology and technology and claims:

https://youtu.be/qyfWZZ7uPuE

Still not ready for prime time.

I was expecting worse from your description, I didn't think the results were all that bad for what they are doing.  The tech keeps improving.  I'm holding out until this improves a lot before getting sequenced myself.

Well, it's annoying when you get sequenced by two different companies - in my case 23andme and Genos - and some of the individual SNPs are reported differently by each company. But you are right - the tech is getting better all the time, and btw. the prices keep dropping. The other thing is that as our knowledge base expands, we start to understand that you really cannot discard any part of the genome, and no part of it is just "filler" and "junk" as thought earlier. So for example 23andme covers only a small percentage of your genes, but Genos already tackles your entire exome - but your whole genome is much, much larger than that, and sequencing that is a much bigger task, at a much bigger cost. I would guess as prices keep falling and tech keeps improving, that's the ultimate sequencing to spring for once it falls to below $1K with very high reliability. So you're likely wise to wait a bit. I'm impatient, and hoping to benefit from any insights as we go along - so f.ex. in my case I apparently have to be vigilant about prostate cancer as I have several markers that indicate higher than average vulnerability... I'm mulling over adjusting my diet somewhat (more broccoli!) and looking into supplements (sulforaphane), and I figure getting this info earlier is better than waiting until costs and reliability of whole genome sequencing align, which who knows when that might be. Who knows - it's a gamble either way.

Archived