Cold sensitivity

nmonaco

Is increased sensitivity to cold an expected by-product of CRON? Or is it an indication of something incorrect in the practice? I seem to have colder hands than usual these days.

Thanks

Its expected (and common) if you lose your insulating body layer(s).  Although responding & adapting to cold is also a "state of mind" phenomena as discussed in the cold exposure thread (summary here).

Yes.

I've been a CR practitioner for over 20 years, and also have "cold hands"; even sometimes blue fingers (Raynaud's syndrone).

I need more blankets than my wife at night.

But the advantages of CR -- extended health and vitality -- greatly outweigh this mild downside; which is easily accomodated.

-- Saul

Yup - this is a normal part of doing CR. It's not always just about losing the extra insulating fat. Your temperature set point lowers.

Personally, I prefer being a bit cool or cold than warm anyway. :)

From my experience, you don't even need to wait for long enough to feel cold. When I don't eat much (usually weekends until dinner), I need to put on extra clothes which I don't do during weekdays. Basically, to do a valid CE without shivering, I need to eat a lot which prevents formal CR (around 2500 cal) for me. However, considering its benefit and how the calories are burned, CE with having lowish BMI (18-20) should benefit from both sides, at least it's working for me so far.

You don't suffer from cold, you stay slim and healthy, you eat in bulks hence satisfy your nutrient intake without micromanagement, and you don't get sick which I got every year without exception regardless of how healthy I ate until this year.

Archived