Adaptogens

mccoy

Ah, Sibiriak, it was good to resuscitate this thread, I kind of forgot about adaptogens until another thread popped up about ashwagananda. I'm still not convinced that it is the best for strength and stamina.

https://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Article/2018/01/17/Confusion-abounds-for-adaptogens-says-expert?utm_source=copyright&utm_medium=OnSite&utm_campaign=copyright

image.png.62e98661458da88ed439792229b7a5f2.png

So, according to David Winston, author of the most advertised book on adaptogens, these are good when we are under unusual stressful conditions. Moreover, Ginseng and rhodiola are stimulants, wheres ashwagandha is calming. That's a different narrative than the claims on Ashwagandha improving strength. Maybe by indirect means (calming, hence decreasing cortisol, which is a testosterone inhibitor). But you must be stressed first.

24 minutes ago, mccoy said:

Ah, Sibiriak, it was good to resuscitate this thread...

I've been doing two-week courses of Altai rhodiola  intermittently for some time now --for  anti-aging,  anti-cancer and other effects---under the tutelage of Baba Yaga,  directly or via several of her ever-youthful female assistants.

As you noted, rhodiola is supposed to be stimulating,   and the general advice is to take it in the first half of the day,  but the stimulant effect is very mild in my experience.    

44 minutes ago, Sibiriak said:

I've been doing two-week courses of Altai rhodiola  intermittently for some time now --for  anti-aging,  anti-cancer and other effects---under the tutelage of Baba Yaga.... 

Careful, if you start looking too youthful, she might eat you... :)

I am only vaguely familiar with most adaptogens, but here is a summary which includes some mentioned above, so it might be of interest:

https://www.herbexaminer.com/herbs/ashwagandha-vs-ginseng-rhodiola-holy-basil-and-others-comprehensive-breakdown/