cell phone radiation hazard (redux ... SIGH!)

Haven't checked in in a while so apologies in advance for any topical redundancy.

About two months ago Canada's Govt.-owned CBC (news service) uploaded this story:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-march-24-2017-1.4038259/cellphone-in-your-pocket-cbc-s-marketplace-investigates-why-you-might-reconsider-1.4038287

If you use your smartphone a lot, and/or keep it in a pocket, watch the short documentary.

I know that several previous scientific studies have disputed potential hazards. But I think this new information makes the topic worthy of re-investigation. 

Um, the documentary doesn't load for me - it stops at the teaser "investigating the wedding industrial complex". There's a segment about cell phones, but apart from the teaser, nothing about the wedding industry. I know the wedding industry promotes unhealthy practices, so I wanted to find out the details, but it just stops.

It works me me.  Thanks.      Berkeley!    Great city.  Great university.

Berkeley cell phone warning law upheld by federal appeals court April 21, 2017

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Berkeley-cell-phone-warning-law-upheld-by-federal-11090621.php

Constitutional Law Professor Blog:

Ninth Circuit Upholds Berkeley Ordinance Requiring Cell Phone Retail Disclosures

About the CBC report ...

Interesting that one branch of the govt. (CBC) is openly criticizing another (Canada Health Service). 

On this same CBC doc. series, CBC Marketplace, that seems to happen quite often.

The doc. clearly does not take hard-core stance that cell phones pose a major or even mediocre risk.

Yet a major, govt.-controlled agency (Canada, for chrissake ... not exactly a bit player) chose to pursue this topic.

Also, the mentioned $25 million US Govt rodent study ...

It was also reported in Scientific American in May 2016 ...

Major Cell Phone Radiation Study Reignites Cancer Questions--Exposure to radio-frequency radiation linked to tumor formation in rats

Hi KHashmi317!

I had no trouble reading the link that you posted -- I make two points:

(1) The study notes that the higher incidence of tumors was not statistically significant.

(2) One of the "unexplained" observations in the study was that cellphone radiation exposed rats had a LONGER LIFESPAN than controls. This is consistent with a post made by Al Pater, on the subject of "radiation hormesis" -- evi.dence that A LITTLE exposure to radiation might have positive effects -- while large exposures cause problems.  Al posted this to those concerned about dental X Rays.  (My opinion: good oral health is much more important than any worry about dental X rays.  And I'm keeping my cellphone in my pants pocket, and lifting it to my ear to listen.) 

--  Saul

Saul:  One of the "unexplained" observations in the study was that cellphone radiation exposed rats had a LONGER LIFESPAN than controls.  This is consistent with a post made by Al Pater, on the subject of "radiation hormesis" -- evi.dence that A LITTLE exposure to radiation might have positive effect...

Good point!

Despite potentially unpleasant albeit unlikely  tumorigenic effects, RF radiation might indeed function as a longevity-promoting hormetic agent, as might other seemingly harmful agents such as pesticides:

TomBAvoider:  Depending on the pesticide in question, perhaps it might be possible that there is even a hormetic effect. That could result in conventional F&V being *more* healthy than organic.

Perhaps some intrepid soul might like to explore a CR +   RF radiation +low dose pesticides longevity protocol.

By the way, even ionizing radiations in very small doses are believed by some to bring about beneficial hormetic effects. For example, the natural radioactivty of clayey soils, used in spas.

Dose Response. 2010; 8(2): 172–191.

Published online 2010 Jan 18. doi:  10.2203/dose-response.09-037.Vaiserman
PMCID: PMC2889502
Radiation Hormesis: Historical Perspective and Implications for Low-Dose Cancer Risk Assessment

Saul:  One of the "unexplained" observations in the study was that cellphone radiation exposed rats had a LONGER LIFESPAN than controls.  This is consistent with a post made by Al Pater, on the subject of "radiation hormesis" -- evi.dence that A LITTLE exposure to radiation might have positive effect...

Good point!

Yeah ... that part (in the opening Summary) is confusing:

At the end of the 2-year study, survival was lower in the control group of males than in all 

groups of male rats exposed to GSM-modulated RFR. Survival was also slightly lower in control 
females than in females exposed to 1.5 or 6 W/kg GSM-modulated RFR. In rats exposed to 
CDMA-modulated RFR, survival was higher in all groups of exposed males and in the 6 W/kg 
females compared to controls.

Not sure??? Honest mistake in the write-up?? Say the sloppy grad they hired to do the write-up had a case of dyslexia: meant "higher" but wrote "lower"??? 

Study:

http://biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2016/05/26/055699.full.pdf

• 9 months later...

Reported on Science Friday (Mar 30, 2018)...

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/583350334/science-friday

https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/is-there-a-cell-phone-link-to-cancer-a-definite-maybe

Earlier this spring, the National Toxicology Program, part of the National Institutes of Health, released a draft report on two long-running studies on the potential health effects of cell phone radiation. The researchers found that exposure to high levels of radiofrequency radiation was linked to a slight increase in the incidence of malignant schwannomas, a rare type of tumor, in nerve tissues near the hearts of male rats.

They also found some association with damage to heart tissue in both male and female rats. Mice, however, didn’t have similar effects. The animals were exposed to high levels of radiofrequency radiation for nine hours per day over their entire bodies for up to two years.

This week, a panel of peer reviewers met for three days to discuss the studies and their conclusions, and voted to increase the level of confidence in the findings, saying that there was a clear link between the radiofrequency radiation exposure and the male rat heart tissue tumors. The National Toxicology Program now has to decide whether to accept the panel’s recommendation before the final report is released.   

Also see:

https://qz.com/1241867/cell-phone-radiation-can-cause-cancer-in-rats-according-to-the-final-results-of-a-us-government-study/

Archived