Xenhormetic tofu

mccoy

This tofu based, very simple recipe has been a surprise in that its flavour was excellent, notwithstanding the well known flavourlessness of tofu.

I took firm, uncooked tofu right out of the fridge and diced it. I put it into a dish where I already prepared a pinzimonio dressing of EVOO, Apple Cider Vinegar, salt and lots of ground pepper. Plus I spiked it with lots of turmeric powder. Last, I sprinkled it with abundant capers.

I couldn't believe the results when I tasted it. A balanced, delicate, tasty, flavorful, fresh dish, with xenohormetic compounds (mostly of the phenols group), which took about 3 minutes to prepare. My 13-years old son also liked it and devoured the tofu leaving me with nothing (But I made another one). 

Besides the known properties of the phenolic compounds in EVOO, soybeans, turmeric and pepper, capers contain lots of kaempferol and quercetin.

I must experiment with more spices, which should blend well though with this already perfect recipe.

post-7347-0-24762800-1498295553_thumb.jpg

Looks tasty!

Btw,  something else I learned about capers recently:

Capers are rich in glucosinolates whose hydrolysis to glucose, sulphuric acid, and isothiocyanates is catalyzed by the enzyme myrosinase. Guignard (1893b) first reported the presence of this enzyme in C. spinosa. Isothiocyanates are well-known for the important role they play in plant defence mechanisms, and also in human health as cancer-preventing agents (Verhoeven et al., 1997).

The high levels of glucosinolates found in caper buds are only comparable with those of Brussels sprouts; other widely-consumed glucosinolate-containing vegetables such as cabbage or broccoli show lower amounts (Matthäus and Özcan, 2002). Brassicaceae are usually considered a major source of glucosinolates (Kjoer, 1963; Kjoer and Thomsen, 1963; Rosa et al., 1997).

The presence of glucosinolates is synapomorphic for members of this family and lends additional support to the new phylogenetic classification (Judd et al., 1999). In fact, the conclusion that Capparidaceae and Brassicaceae should remain together, based on the presence of glucosinolates, was drawn 45 years ago (Hegnauer, 1961; Kjoer, 1963).

Handbook of Herbs and Spices, Volume 3, Chapter 19: Capers and Caperberries

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/260106915_Chapter_19_CAPERS_AND_CAPERBERRIES

• 1 month later...

I discovered that cold tofu has a name in Japanese, and there are many variations to it (in the topping, actually). I was recently able to source a good organic variety, very reasonably priced. Actually, it's cheaper than the cheapest cheese. I decided it's going to become a staple in my diet.

Hiyayakko

photo_Hiyayakko-Chilled-Tofu.jpg?1469572

Have you ever tried making your own tofu?  

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Tofu/

You would think since soybeans are a major crop they would be easy to come by on the cheap, although I haven't found a good local source yet and Bob's Red Mill costs more than just buying the organic tofu itself.  Eventually I'm hoping azurestandard makes a truck route to my area.

• 1 year later...
On 8/18/2017 at 3:33 PM, mccoy said:

Gordo, same here, a one pound bag of organic dried soybeans costs about 2.4 US$ and I only found them by chance in a supermarket.

I bought a 50 lb bag of organic soybeans for about $20 roughly 6 years ago from a local farmer and used about a third of it making tempeh and tofu before I realized how devastating legumes and especially soy were to my health and tossed the rest of it .  Only recently discovered my many genetic predispositions to Crohn's, colitis and coeliac disease.  In hindsight I think it was the gluten grains, refined vegetable oils and other processed foods putting me in a state of inflammation and intestinal permeability that created the legume intolerance as I can now eat modest amounts of some legumes again but am unwilling to press my luck and resume eating the foods that made me most acutely sick.  I also spent about $1000 on a nice grain mill and used it to make my own flours, some from grains I grew myself.  I made so many dumb mistakes, nearly killed myself, but live and learn...

Archived