Cordyceps extends lifespan?

tea

Just curious what thoughts are regarding cordyceps, and particularly this study showing it increases lifespan in normal mice. This study was done by NuSkin who sells a cordyceps product, so obviously questionable, but there are many other studies on cordyceps showing that it has purported anti-aging and longevity promoting effects.

The lifespan-extending effect of Cordyceps sinensis Cs-4 in normal mice and its molecular mechanisms
"All control mice died before 3 yrs of age while Cs-4 extended lifespan by10-66 days at 50% survival and 45-153 days at 10% survival. The age of the oldest surviving mice was extended 152 days (1.5 g/kg) and >210 days (both 0.5 and 1.0 g Cs- 4/kg  BW)... The  maximal  lifespan  (the  average  of  the  longest 10% lifespan) of mice was extended with C. sinensis CS-4  at  doses  of  0.5  g/kg  (p<0.001)  and  1.5  g/kg (p=0.047), respectively."

It is suspicious that they didn't publish the full text, possibly they only needed the abstract for promotional use and to gain investors. not sure, but either way, for anyone that is interested, I wholeheartedly recommend not buying the grossly overpriced NuSkin product, but getting bulk CS-4 on amazon for a fraction of the cost.

Some other studies:
A Fermentation Product of Cordyceps sinensis Increases Whole-Body Insulin Sensitivity in Rats

Protective Effects on Mitochondria and Anti-Aging Activity of Polysaccharides from Cultivated Fruiting Bodies of Cordyceps militaris

Cordyceps sinensis oral liquid prolongs the lifespan of the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster, by inhibiting oxidative stress

Gordo

I think consuming a wide variety of mushrooms is very important for optimal health and longevity.

Gordo, of course I agree, considering the xenohormetic benefits of mushrooms.

Which varieties you eat and in which amounts?

I'm a little reluctant to buy wild mushrooms because of the possibility of mistaking the deadly toxic Amanita Phalloides for an edible species.

Mccoy, I usually eat whatever species I can find for sale locally or that can be foraged or grown myself.  The only species I forage is chicken of the woods.  Locally I typically find shiitake, king, enoki, oyster, and the commons - portobello, crimini, white button.  They all have outstanding health benefits.  Dr. G did a video recently about beta glucans: https://youtu.be/ZcL6qyc76Xg but failed to mention you can get these compounds from mushrooms.  " Super Immunity" also highlights the role of mushrooms in an optimized immune system.  

Gordo, the superimmunity book is probably one of the first examples of regimens oriented toward a strong hormetic component. G-Bombs seem to be all foods endowed with plentiful hormetic compounds (of which micronutrients are often a proxy).

Dr. F doesn't call it hormesis but the immunity boosting is clearly one of the effects of hormetic mechanisms.

• 3 weeks later...

Cordyceps militaris improves the survival of Dahl salt-sensitive hypertensive rats possibly via influences of mitochondria and autophagy functions

"Together, the influence of CM may differ between mitochondria and autophagy functioned between the two organ groups, as mitochondria and autophagy seemed to be repressed and promoted, respectively, in the CNS, while both mitochondria and autophagy were activated in the others. This could possibly be related to the steady or improved cellular activity in both the organs, which might result in the life extension of these rats."

Archived