Reverse engineered approach to human longevity - MIT talk by Peter Attia

Danielovich

Nice find Danielovich! Though I found Rhonda Patrick’s interview of Peter Attia ( there may be two IIRC) overall a bette presentation of his optimal diet regimen, I enjoyed the complementary content where your video uses more schematics and outlines the variables he sees as key WRT quality of life: physically and mentally.

I’m curious how you found this video. Direct link from his site or another search strategy? It was high quality and I like the academic target audience including geeky incorporation of the calculus.

I've found it via his website:

https://peterattiamd.com/start-here/

Which actually has some quality information.

PS- if you haven’t read it and like this, Valter Longo’s Longevity Diet is well worth the read.

I haven't, does it add something that wasn't covered elsewhere?

Thanks danielovich,

that's scheduled for my next threadmill session!

Enjoy!

I couldn't resist and watched the Peter Attia video before threadmill session.

It's a revisitation of his personal proposal, the 8 interventions to support longevity, with some new ideas thrown in, very interesting as usual, he bases his medical practice on such strategy/tactics.

And the guy who introduced the talk is David Sabatini, who discovered mTOR.

dr Attia refined the quantification of AUC of blood glucose, the integral of the time history of glucose concentration in the blood, stating that the average concentration should be 85 mg/dL with a standard deviation of  +-15. He didn't cite max peak values. 

Without a continuos monitoring device, it's a tactics not easy to follow

He reiterated the need of optimizing protein by targeting an intake just above the zero nitrogen balance point. Again, that's a tactics impossible to follow without nitrogen balance measurements, although there are methods which may approximate the condition, it remains a very difficult optimization.

The part on lipids just lost me and I didn't grasp its relevance or bottom line. A practically relevant thing, the ratio SAFA/MUFA/PUFA, hasn't been quantified.

He reiterated the concept that skeletal muscles are glucose sinks, but when asked by a lady, he confessed that women who have lesser muscle mass exhibit no greater prevalence of diabetes and some beefy dudes are more glucose intolerant than some gracile ladies.

So the concept of muscles=glucose sink becomes more labile.

Qualitatively, his dietary suggestions are very easily pursued by following Longo's longevity diet, in that the latter tends to minimize glucose AUC and moderates protein, although in a very generic fashion.

The purpose we all know is to avoid mTOR overamplification or better to enter a state of chronical, mild underamplification of mTOR.

By the way, he also discusse super slow training, which we are discussing in another thread, as a useful support to those who don't want to engage in strength exercises like squat and deadlift.

Actually, as I showed in the thread on exercise optimization, that may be a no lesser effective method than pure strength trainining.

Archived