Strongest predictor of how long you will live

Interesting conjecture about how women live longer, although probably not true, at least not entirely.

I might guess it also depends on people's propensities. Some people get their high by social interaction, others by physical exercise (I'm pretty much the one who loves the endorphines derived by exercise), others by a lonely and meditative, maybe mind-challenging activity.

Some may enjoy different measures of all the above.

I also might add that the term social interaction includes either lovely, friendly relationships and negative relationships (rivalries, enmities) the latter of which are very common in small, closed settlements like the ones in Ogliastra, Sardinia.

To venture saying that social interactions is the strongest longevity predictor of all seems excessive. Again, the strongest predictor probably varies across individuals and it remains to be seen if tis contribute is predominant with respect to the other factors.

Interstingly,

At CRONA, which was held at UCSF a few years ago, all participants were asked questions on a psychological profile that we all were asked to fill out.

One of the conclusions, which was published a few years later, was that the majority of calorie restrictors (or, more precisely, of attendees at CRONA), were loners.

-- Saul

Interstingly,

At CRONA, which was held at UCSF a few years ago, all participants were asked questions on a psychological profile that we all were asked to fill out.

One of the conclusions, which was published a few years later, was that the majority of calorie restrictors (or, more precisely, of attendees at CRONA), were loners.

-- Saul

I've suspected this irony for a long time...  people doing what many would describe as "extreme things" for longevity, but at the same time NOT doing many basic things associated with good health and longevity.  More here:

https://www.ted.com/talks/robert_waldinger_what_makes_a_good_life_lessons_from_the_longest_study_on_happiness

Archived