Fitness trainer recommendations?

InquilineKea

So I'm wondering if I should get a fitness trainer. I don't care about getting buff - I only care about reducing muscle wasting and being able to better support backpacks/reducing neck pain. I did a sample trainer in Boston and he said that I need some weight-lifting along with cardio (otherwise the constant cardio would waste away my bone structure => in fact i wonder if my most likely cause of death would be fall from weak bone structure).

I am concerned about the effects of increased protein intake, however. Is lifting light weights useless if one doesn't increase protein intake? Also, what's the best feedback mechanism in response to lifting light but not heavy weights?

I am concerned about the effects of increased protein intake, however. Is lifting light weights useless if one doesn't increase protein intake? Also, what's the best feedback mechanism in response to lifting light but not heavy weights?

At the beginning you shall need more protein to synthetize muscle tissue. You cannot practice protein restriction and increase muscle tissues, at least, there is no simple way around it and you may loose months or years experimenting.

There are many options and we discussed many of them in other threads.

The most natural way is to increase protein intake (until you reach your desired target). And try to optimize your intake taking advantage of teh anabolic window, that is eating your main proteic meal just after training. According to Valter Longo that should include 30 grams of protein, but it really varies according to size, workout intensity, other meals, so many other factors. 

There are other ways to hack a muscle gain like using pure BCAAs with leucine, they are justified if you are really frail and need to gain muscle soon. Just take 3 to 5 grams pure branched BCAAs just before the workout, then eat 20 grams of protein after the workout together with a few grams of simple carbs. Plus enough daily average protein (from 1.1 to 1.5 g/kg/d) plus enough carbs.

Also, what's the best feedback mechanism in response to lifting light but not heavy weights?

I'm practicing GVT (German Volume Training) limited to 3 exercises (I'm still in rehab) and it turns out an excellent way to increase mass and strenght keeping weights very, light.

I discussed it in another thread. 

The reference is from Charles Poliquin, one of the best, if not the best, strength coach:

http://www.strengthsensei.com/german-volume-training-introduction/

Archived