Jump to content

Haven't been sick at all since taking Zinc


Matt
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 7 months later...

 

I had a horrible time dealing with my enlarged prostate and was advised by my urologist to take zinc and saw palmetto as a side help to my prescription medication. I did some googling and found a product that had both of the ingredients that my urologist advised me to take, Regen50 strong is the name. Maybe someone here had tried it or can advise me more on it. Thank you 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2020 at 9:24 AM, Marco said:

 

I had a horrible time dealing with my enlarged prostate and was advised by my urologist to take zinc and saw palmetto as a side help to my prescription medication. I did some googling and found a product that had both of the ingredients that my urologist advised me to take, Regen50 strong is the name. Maybe someone here had tried it or can advise me more on it. Thank you 

Or you could just get zinc and saw palmetto for a couple bucks like your urologist advised (if we are to believe your story).  Hmm, first and only post is promoting an overpriced pill.  Admins?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gordo said:

Hmm, first and only post is promoting an overpriced pill.  Admins?

FWIW, the first time a new person posts their post is held for approval by an admin. I saw Marco's post a couple of days ago and I too thought it seemed a little spammy, although most true spam posts include a link which this one didn't. So I didn't approve it but I didn't delete it either (like I sometimes do with obvious spam), leaving it in limbo. Someone else with admin privileges must have judged it to be legit enough to approve it. I'm not sure who, since I don't know who else who regularly reads this forum has admin privilege.

Let's see if Marco responds to your reasonable suggestion of taking zinc and saw palmetto individually rather than buying the more expensive combination of the two.

--Dean

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the end of the year it'll be 4 years since I was last struck down ill with a cold or flu. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I will sometimes experience what seems like the beginning of a cold like  a scratchy throat but it's typically gone within hours and doesn't develop further. It's about 11-12 years since I last had a full blown norovirus infection with all the symptoms. So I've not vomited in 12+ years either. I have had what seems to be the start of norovirus, but allicin has never failed to get rid of very early symptoms within hours. Typically those will be nausea and a feeling of pressure under the rib cage where the stomach is located.

Could be a coincidence that I stopped getting sick since using zinc and allicin, but who knows. 🙂  I do know allicin has antiviral properties, and getting it into the stomach is pretty straight forward. But it's not been tested against norovirus? Only against stomach issues related to bacteria like h plyori, where it seems effective.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matt said:

At the end of the year it'll be 4 years since I was last struck down ill with a cold or flu. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I will sometimes experience what seems like the beginning of a cold like  a scratchy throat but it's typically gone within hours and doesn't develop further. It's about 11-12 years since I last had a full blown norovirus infection with all the symptoms. So I've not vomited in 12+ years either. I have had what seems to be the start of norovirus, but allicin has never failed to get rid of very early symptoms within hours. Typically those will be nausea and a feeling of pressure under the rib cage where the stomach is located.

Could be a coincidence that I stopped getting sick since using zinc and allicin, but who knows. 🙂  I do know allicin has antiviral properties, and getting it into the stomach is pretty straight forward. But it's not been tested against norovirus? Only against stomach issues related to bacteria like h plyori, where it seems effective.
 

I’ve had literally amazing results several times with zinc. I’m guessing I tend low due to my high Fibre plant diet.as for Allicin  I do take a garilque pill occasionally and cycle that with fresh chopped garlic and aged kyolic.

Matt would you share with us the source of your Allicin?

Edited by Mike41
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mike41 said:

Matt would you share with us the source of your Allicin?

He posted on his blog a while back that he uses this stuff.  He also posted a link to a study that did something with that specific product, I don't remember now off the top of my head what the study results were, but after I investigated more I thought it looked like a good product too.  Each individual capsule has the allicin of 45 cloves of garlic (one clove has 3-5mg allicin, those capsules contain 180mg each!).  The capsules do smell and taste like garlic, but they DO NOT give you garlic breath or garlic smell seeping through your skin which is nice.  I take it when I feel my immune system is fighting something, so one box has lasted me a really long time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/11/2020 at 4:53 PM, Gordo said:

He posted on his blog a while back that he uses this stuff.  He also posted a link to a study that did something with that specific product, I don't remember now off the top of my head what the study results were, but after I investigated more I thought it looked like a good product too.  Each individual capsule has the allicin of 45 cloves of garlic (one clove has 3-5mg allicin, those capsules contain 180mg each!).  The capsules do smell and taste like garlic, but they DO NOT give you garlic breath or garlic smell seeping through your skin which is nice.  I take it when I feel my immune system is fighting something, so one box has lasted me a really long time.

Thanks for that Gordo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2020 at 11:04 PM, Gordo said:

Or you could just get zinc and saw palmetto for a couple bucks like your urologist advised (if we are to believe your story).  Hmm, first and only post is promoting an overpriced pill.  Admins?

 

Hi Gordo. I have never mentioned that he advised me to take those 2 separately 😉 It was his suggestion and since he didn't recommend any exact product or form that the product should be taken in ( pills, powder, chowing on roots, etc. ) I decided to do some research and the product kept on popping up. Since as you said it is pricy I decided to ask if someone has experience with it. I don't see anything wrong with seeking for help or asking for the first-hand experience. I thought that's the purpose of forums. Yes, this is my first post because so far I never had the need to use any forum ( I was advised by my daughter to do so ).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/11/2020 at 12:49 AM, Dean Pomerleau said:

FWIW, the first time a new person posts their post is held for approval by an admin. I saw Marco's post a couple of days ago and I too thought it seemed a little spammy, although most true spam posts include a link which this one didn't. So I didn't approve it but I didn't delete it either (like I sometimes do with obvious spam), leaving it in limbo. Someone else with admin privileges must have judged it to be legit enough to approve it. I'm not sure who, since I don't know who else who regularly reads this forum has admin privilege.

Let's see if Marco responds to your reasonable suggestion of taking zinc and saw palmetto individually rather than buying the more expensive combination of the two.

--Dean

Hello Dean. It took me quite some time to figure out how to directly answer you and Mr. Gordo. I had to wait for my daughter to come and show me how. As I said I never used forums before so I am not so familiar with how things work around here. We can blame it to belonging to a generation that was born and raised before this computer era). I saw that there are pictures and names of products around this forum so I assumed that is fine to ask. Is there a specific rule of what can be asked and what product can be named and which picture can be posted? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome Marco! 

Sorry for the mix up. Your question was fine. Forgive us for our suspicion but being an open forum we get many people who come here for the first time who have less than noble intentions for posting, often trying to get people to click on their link or buy their product to receive a commission.

Now that we know you are a real person with sincere questions you are more than welcome to post them. You might be especially interested in this thread devoted to prostate cancer prevention. You might also want to check out the section of nutritionfacts.org on prostate health. 

--Dean 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dean Pomerleau said:

Welcome Marco! 

Sorry for the mix up. Your question was fine. Forgive us for our suspicion but being an open forum we get many people who come here for the first time who have less than noble intentions for posting, often trying to get people to click on their link or buy their product to receive a commission.

Now that we know you are a real person with sincere questions you are more than welcome to post them. You might be especially interested in this thread devoted to prostate cancer prevention. You might also want to check out the section of nutritionfacts.org on prostate health. 

--Dean 

Thank you for the advice. I will check if I can find some information there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know if it's possible to even tell if one has had an asymptotic flu infection? I don't even remember the last time I was sick - I think late 2017 was the last time I actually did have a runny nose and all the associated symptoms of a cold.. And before that, it might have been, uh, 2011? I definitely spammed Quora questions about it in 2011, but I think like the fact that I haven't had to even use a neti pot/nasal rinse in a LONG TIME is indicative of SMG

Also, isn't it possible for there to be too much zinc/for zinc to bioaccumulate? I do sense that out of ALL of the heavier minerals/elements, it's the healthiest, probably the only one that you're better off having more of.

Edited by InquilineKea
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, InquilineKea said:

...Also, isn't it possible for there to be too much zinc/for zinc to bioaccumulate? I do sense that out of ALL of the heavier minerals/elements, it's the healthiest, probably the only one that you're better off having more of.

Zinc Linked To Macular Degeneration, Study Suggests

"A team of scientists, including three researchers at George Mason University, found that the mineral zinc could play a role in the development of macular degeneration. In studying eye tissue samples, the researches found that deposits, that are hallmarks of age-related macular degeneration (AMD), contain large amounts of zinc.

This finding, published in the journal Experimental Eye Research, might be particularly important because zinc supplements are widely given to patients to help boost weak immune systems. In addition, a 2001 study from the National Eye Institute found that high doses of zinc supplements, combined with antioxidants, may postpone the progression to blindness.

AMD is a medical condition in which the macula, the place of central vision in the eye, experiences atrophy and in some cases bleeding. It is the primary cause of blindness in the elderly in Western society and approximately 13 million Americans suffer from the disease according to AMD Alliance International.

“Because earlier findings have shown that that zinc contributes to deposit formation in neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, we were prompted to test the theory that zinc might be involved in deposit formation in AMD,” said Mason professor of psychology, Jane Flinn.

“The double-edged sword is that zinc has been found to enhance the immune system, but also could play a role in the advancement of macular degeneration,” said Imre Lengyel of the UCL Institute of Ophthalmology in London...."

 

See also this:

"According to the Linus Pauling Institute, taking 50 or more milligrams of zinc per day causes an intestinal protein called metallothionein to trap copper within your intestinal cells, reducing your body's ability to absorb the copper you take in. This can cause a copper deficiency, according to researchers from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, who published a study in the "American Journal of Clinical Pathology" in 2005. They examined the bone marrow of three patients who were taking megadoses of zinc and found that all of them had anemia and all were low in copper. ...

Overconsumption of zinc may raise your cholesterol, according to a team of researchers who published a report in the journal, "Renal Failure," in 2009. They found that zinc-deficient subjects who took zinc supplements daily for 42 days experienced significantly elevated serum total cholesterol levels, as well as higher LDL, HDL and triglyceride levels. Some related research has been halted because patients taking large amounts of zinc were developing cardiovascular problems, according to German authors of a paper published in a 2010 issue of "International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health." ...

Using nasal sprays with zinc may inhibit your sense of smell, according to researchers who published a study in the journal "The Laryngoscope" in 2006. The researchers observed 17 patients who took a nasal spray with zinc. Within 48 hours, 10 of them experienced anosmia, or loss of smell. The Linus Pauling Institute warns that using nasal sprays with zinc has caused anosmia in laboratory animals as well, and warns that zinc-associated anosmia may be irreversible, so you should avoid using zinc nasal gels and sprays."

And if I recall correctly, too much zinc can deplete iron as well.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Ron Put said:

Zinc Linked To Macular Degeneration, Study Suggests

The study https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0014483507000024 does not show excess zinc causes macular degeneration.  They got samples from autopsies of those with the disease and found lots of zinc in the macula.

As recommended a long time ago on these forums, I take my iron pills after waking with some vitamin C for maximum uptake and zinc later, including about two thirds of the RDA in pill form.  Copper is overabundant in my vegan diet and I get blood tests on all three minerals to ensure that iron intake is adequate as are zinc and copper in about equal molar ratio.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/12/2020 at 10:46 AM, AlPater said:

The study https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0014483507000024 does not show excess zinc causes macular degeneration.

True. But it certainly opens up the possibility that excess zinc is a contributing factor.  The question was if it's possible to overdo zinc and it seems that the answer is yes.

You make good points about balancing, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...