Valter Longo yet another (interesting) podcast

mccoy

On 6/6/2018 at 4:19 PM, mccoy said:

Valter Longo must be one of the most interviewed guys in the latest coupla years.

I just listened to the stemtalk interview (Ken Ford is usually biased on the ketogenic diet, but he's been evidently able to overcome this bias), where new aspects on his proposals are underlined: IGF-1 and its sweet spot, local and general IGF-1. No coffe when fasting and when on his FMD.

One pretty interesting issue is that about the 'phantom carbon sources', nutrients which are utilized by the body but not recognized as nutrients. Fibers? Else?

I googled  'phantom carbon sources' but found no relevant results so far .

https://www.ihmc.us/stemtalk/episode-64-valter-longo-talks-about-the-fasting-mimicking-diet-and-the-keys-to-longevity/

Thanks for the video!

• 2 months later...

Today while walking in shorts under a powerful midday sun I listened to this podcast.

(The above was an optimization of an hour of spare time:  mild post-meal exercise+UV rays absorption+ listening to useful content).

The series is not very well known but the interview was pretty clarificatory of quite a few concepts which are not utterly limpid in his book. The host is an MD + former crossfit athlete.

Longo speaks about the 5 pillars, dieting and keto diets, why a pescetarian diet, exercise and a few other details. He confirms a 60-30-10 ideal in his opinion C-F-P ratio with an isocaloric regimen. Longo remains the very first benchmark in longevity to whom I would address all those who ask for a reference. I do not follow all his suggestions but IMHO he remains probably the most formidable source for longevity suggestions.

Edited by mccoy

Thanks, mccoy. I listened to this podcast yesterday and it's a great summary of Longo's research and his view.

I am not convinced by a few of his assertions, namely that fasting is bad (the anecdote about the Italian woman who fasted for three weeks and died ("We don't know why, but...") is particularly bad), CR is not good and skipping breakfast is not good (this one seemed to be based on a poorly designed Greek study which found increased mortality among those who skipped or ate a small breakfast, but there were clear correlations between breakfast skippers and all sorts of bad habits (like smoking and high use of alcohol) and poor general health).

Still, he is one of the people who does some of the most interesting research around and is perhaps the most credible in the field (to my knowledge).