Photo

CR with ZeroCarb

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 srid

srid
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:18 PM

(I searched for this information in vain before deciding to post this)

Is anyone here practicing CR while eating ZeroCarb? What about CR+ZeroCarb+OMAD? Basically eating once a day, and just eating meat in that sitting. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts. I eat ZeroCarb (occasionally OMAD) but I'm considering adding CR to it for health (and thus longevity) reasons.

#2 Todd Allen

Todd Allen
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:47 PM

I think most here are vegetarian/vegan.  A few are low carb.  I've been keto for almost 2 years but I'm eating a mixed diet with maybe 1/2 of my calories from animal foods but most of the bulk from leafy greens and other vegetables plus a little fruit.  Almost everyone here tries to hit a high level on all micronutrients while restricting calories.  Cron-o-meter is  a popular app for tracking nutritional intake.  I expect it will be challenging to cover the full micronutrient spectrum eating zero carb, for example vitamins C and A tend to be limited in animal foods, though one could supplement such as many vegans do for B12 and sometimes other things hard to get from plant sources.

#3 mccoy

mccoy
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:23 AM

I doubt that zero carb/carnivore suits the purpose of CR, since you are going to eat too many protein, unless you are able in a carnivore diet to stop at 0.6-0.8 g/kg/d protein, which seems very difficult or nearly impossible (you should eat prevalently fat and very little meat).

CR is also based on moderate leucine and methionine, which are conversely very high in animal protein. mTOR is probably going to be overamplified, notwithstanding the single daily meal.

Last, extreme diets like fruitarian and carnivorous by definition do not belong to CR+ON (CR+optimized nutrition). 

The Rosedale diet, which includes many vegetables, is sure a CR alternative. But it is low protein besides being low carbs.

Bottom line, and I hate to be a party pooper, but a ZC-carnivorous diet does not seem to be a serious scheme for longevity. Rather, the other way around.

Moderate meat plus lots of low carb vegetables might be. With some supplements.

Later on, since I have tog oto work now,  I'll try and see what a ZC-moderate protein diet would look like in cronometer.

Edited by mccoy, 10 July 2018 - 01:26 AM.

"Data speak for themselves" -Reverend Thomas Bayes 1702-1761
P(Ai|E)=(P(E|Ai)P(Ai))/P(E)

#4 Sibiriak

Sibiriak
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:38 AM

Mccoy: ZC-carnivorous diet does not seem to be a serious scheme for longevity.

That makes sense.  But I want to consult with Melvin West before I come to any final judgment.

#5 Sibiriak

Sibiriak
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:52 AM

Basically eating once a day, and just eating meat in that sitting.

Maybe eat  whole small  animals, not just meat.

Eat nose-to-tail

https://chriskresser...aleo-lifestyle/

Edited by Sibiriak, 10 July 2018 - 03:53 AM.

#6 Sibiriak

Sibiriak
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:05 AM

Todd Allen:  vitamins C and A tend to be limited in animal foods...

Eat your liver, boy!   ....the paleos will tell you:

Can You Get Vitamin A From Plants? It Depends on Your Genes  (Chris Masterjohn)

https://chrismasterj...-depends-genes/

Edited by Sibiriak, 10 July 2018 - 04:25 AM.

#7 mccoy

mccoy
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 02:23 PM

srid, since I love fiddling with cronometer, I prepared a tentative CR-ZC plan for you, at about 1700 kcal (this of course depends on your size but it can be scaled up or down).

My constraints were low calories (1700) and protein equal to the RDA (0.8 g/kg/d), the rest being fat. I entered 50 grams of beef liver per day, in the attempt to maximize micronutrients. I Could not enter more, since that would pose you art risk of hypervitaminosis. So, your daily diet would be something like this:

Pork, bacon, pan, fried, 70 g

Atlantic salòmon, cooked, 70 g

Beef liver, 50 g

Olive oil, 4 tbsp

lard, 75 gr.

The above quantities, you cannot exceed. However, this plan is far from perfect. For example methionine, which ideally should be low in a CR diet, is 1.6 g (250% RDA), this might give you problems in lowering IGF-1

Also,  you would remain deficient in many nutrients:

• Omega-3 (but you might substitute some flaxseed oil to EVOO)
  • B1, B6 (marginally), choline, folate (pretty much)
  • Vitamin C (very deficient)
  • Vitamin E
  • Vitamin K (pretty deficient)
  • Calcium, magnesium, manganese, potassium (very deficient)
  • Iron 
  • zinc

Of course, you might supplement, so you are theorically all right, if you can hack it (I mean, a very boring diet). Variety can be introduced, but amounts of  proteic food must remain low, as you've seen, about  200 grams daily. 

Besides, this is a diet which has never been observed to be conducive to longevity, unilke the diets of the blue zones dwellers. Cholesterol is very high and you should have to check regularly your lipds, also your inflammation markers like CRP.

Re. melvin West: he's an expert on ZC recipes and I was tempted to include some exotic variety in the above cronometer plan, but I just couldn't find snake flesh in the cronometer database!

Anyway, if you are convinced and like the challenge, thats'it, please keep us informed!

Disclaimer: I'm not an health professional, the above diet may be hazardous to health since missing many nutrients and I do not suggest it. Such a diet, if initiated, should be followed under strict medical supervision.

Capture ZC1.JPG

Capture ZC2.JPG

Edited by mccoy, 10 July 2018 - 02:25 PM.

#8 mccoy

mccoy
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 02:32 PM

Regretfully, we didn't hear form srid, I would have liked to know his opinion. I really don't see any reason why to practice an extreme, unbalanced ZC carnivorous diet. It's enough to be a little more elastic and throw into some low-carb vegetables, that the diet might become a real CR pro-longevity low-carb diet, a la Ron rosedale. With the following example, we have 180 grams per day fish and meat, healthy fats like EVOO, flaxseed oil, nuts, 750 gr romaine and 100 gr green pepper. Only 19 gr net carbs, which makes it a fully keto diet. Proteins are 116% RDA but 15% of these are from lettuce, leucine is pretty moderate at 176% although Methionyne is pretty high.

Now, the only micronutrients deficiencies are the following: choline, Ca, Mg, K, Zn. Nothing compared to the massive deficiencies of the previous ZC carnivorous CR diet.

Capture ZC3.JPG