CR with ZeroCarb

srid

Excerpt from Chris Masterjhon's 

Testing Nutritional Status:
The Ultimate Cheat Sheet

originally suggested by Todd and which I strongly advise

That's in the 'Potassium' part.

Low-Carbohydrate, High-Fat Diets
It is possible to eat a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet with adequate potassium, but it requires
much more attention to food selection. 75 grams of protein obtained from meat will provide
about 750-1000 milligrams of potassium. 150 grams of protein from meat will provide about
1.5-2 grams of potassium. The following is a list of mg potassium per gram net carb (total
carbohydrate minus fiber) in some of the best choices for vegetables: watercress, 431; spinach,
399; purslane, 329; mustard greens, 221; bamboo shoots, 178; arugula, 176; red leaf lettuce,
170; celery, 144; white mushrooms, 138; green leaf lettuce, 129; zucchini, 119; Chinese
cabbage, 119; asparagus, 106; common cabbage, 79; iceberg lettuce, 71; tomatoes, 66. If one
were to eat 100 grams of each of these vegetables per day, this would yield 4.9 grams of
potassium and less than 32 grams of net carbs. The lean portion of the protein would bring the
total to anywhere from 5.6 to 6.9 grams of potassium and the remainder of the diet could be fat.

On 11/23/2018 at 5:05 PM, mccoy said:

She also underlines the obvious hazards of not including vegetables.

Yea, but the question I have is - how does the Anderson family[1] do well eating nothing but ribeyes (not event salt or added fat) for the last 20 years? 

[1] http://meatheals.com/2018/02/04/charlene-andersen/

[1] http://web.archive.org/web/20150424212450/https://zerocarbzen.com/2015/03/09/zero-carb-interview-the-andersen-family/

srid, the Anderson family is such an anedoctal occurrence, that I could also cite you the extreme opposite, Michael Arnstein, the guy who runs, sometimes wins marathons on a purely fruitarian diet. 

The Anderson family raises some issues, such as: are they being honest? If so, do they have similar, particular genetic polymorphisms? Are they metabolic outliers or not? Do they eat so little to mimick caloric restriction? And last but not least, would anyone benefit from their diet?

Randomized controlled trials serve to this purpose, to shed any subjectivity or anedoctal reasonings from objective facts and to estabilish an average response.

Also, in one of the websites where Shawn Baker (who had some bad results from his bloodwork) and the Anderson family were discussed, a woman posted reporting that she quit being a carnivore since she had many health issues because of that, among which no periods. Thus evidence suggests that not everyone is healthy on a carnivore diet.

We should apply reason and discrimination first. Extreme dietary restriction is not natural. Man can survive usually for brief periods on extreme restriction, but then usually gets ill or worse long term. The Eskimos exhibit very pronounced polymorphisms, a modern example of Darwinian evolutionism. That is, only those who had and developed polymorphisms suited to survive on an extreme meat & fish diet in an extreme climate survived. All the others died prematurely. Brute selection of the fittest.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting excerpt from a Mc Dougall's talk on eskimos.

From the cited articles, eskimos suffer(ed) premature death by atherosclerosis and other CV diseases, plus osteoporosis and parasitic infections. An example of evolutionary adaptation but not an example of health and longevity...

Edited by mccoy

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if Joe Rogan has addressed these criticisms in any of his podcasts with carnivore diet people. I could not find much info addressing the Inuit criticism on the internet either. 

Lately I discovered the coffee is a trigger, especially if I have more than 1-2 cups a day. So going coffee-free. Trying to introduce white basmati rice with coconut cream as I love it ....

• 1 month later...

Seems like a brilliant way to get intractable insulin resistance and multitudinous nutrient deficiencies.

If someone is encouraging an eating pattern that no free-living human society has ever even been able to come close to...it's a tip-off that it might be bad for you.  Even Eskimos/Inuit never lived in nutritional ketosis, and they ate a lot of berries, roots, and some greens.  Inuits still take off work during berry-picking season because it's that culturally important.  They used to dry the berries and mix them with fat for winter.  (I guess that's what gave them such terrible heart disease.  The berries.  lol.)

I am not vegan, and I include veganism among these diets, BTW. 

Don't do extreme things.  It rarely ends well.

Edited by Genny

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2019 at 4:52 PM, Genny said:

It rarely ends well.

But I don't see any evidence (even if anecdotal) of the carnivore diet ending badly for anyone. Some people are doing it for over 20 years even without organ meats (which are supposed to address the nutrient deficiencies). I have arrived at the conclusion that our dietary understanding has a bit of plant-bias. Check out,

On 3/4/2019 at 1:51 PM, srid said:

But I don't see any evidence (even if anecdotal) of the carnivore diet ending badly for anyone.

The evidence contained in Shawn baker's blood analyses is not anecdotal. Fortunately he's not reached the end yet, but the analytical result of his carnivorous diet sure do not suggest a favourable trend as far as longevity and healthspan are concerned.

• 1 year later...
On 9/5/2018 at 11:35 AM, nsTemples said:

I actually already have a normal weight. I'm somewhere between 10-8% bodyfat with an ever more pronounced six pack. The current plan is to just see how low I can go with this and then figure out my best maintenance calorie number.

nsTemples - have you figured out your best maintenance calorie number? Are you still doing CR with carnivore diet? Do you also eat one meal a day?

16 hours ago, srid said:

nsTemples - have you figured out your best maintenance calorie number? Are you still doing CR with carnivore diet? Do you also eat one meal a day?

He hasn't participated here in a long time and is unlikely to see your message.  You might try using the private messaging function of these forums which may send him an email.