Forum Upgrade (!)

timc

Hi All,

The forum is scheduled to upgrade on either Friday, July 27th or Monday, July 30th.

As this is a major revision upgrade (3.X to 4.X), this might cause a loss of access and will definitely cause a change to the look/feel including the color scheme and other aspects.

Hopefully, it is back in order soon.

-Tim

One change of substance is that Invision Power has merged the "Log in name" and "Display name". For most people, this is the same thing. However, if they are different, the "Display name" is being kept (on the principle of least harm, since it is public facing).

In that situation, the log in name changes to the display name.

There is a lot to fix up still (prior content, navigation).

For now, the main page,

https://www.crsociety.org

goes straight to the forums.

Likely, the colors/themes will be adjusted after getting navigation to old content restored.

If anybody has login/display name change requests, just let me know. Send a personal message or post.

2 hours ago, James Cain said:

I like the new look. As Matt said, it looks more professional and inviting. I'm not a huge fan of the current color scheme for aesthetics or readability of the menu text, but overall an improvement.

I am in agreement on the aesthetics. Everything in the green block above (and the white submenu just beneath) could use a refresh. It's hard to do in isolation (matching font, tab, background/gradient, logos, button colors).

I just spent literally two hours trying to figure out how to put recent "Topics" above "Current Donations Goals" and "Blog Entries". These things are never where you expect them to be (I saw a magic arrow while reading your post - it wasn't a code or admin panel thing in the CMS - a GUI thingy on the live website).

There will be more changes to navigation especially to re-liven some of the prior content (conference histories, resources, etc). I have found the sub-sub menus to be buggy, so I will avoid (e.g., see the main navigation button 'Activity', then 'My Activity Streams' - it can be cumbersome, IMO).

Mainly the focus is still to restore functionality.

9 hours ago, timc said:

I just spent literally two hours trying to figure out how to put recent "Topics" above "Current Donations Goals" and "Blog Entries".

Mainly the focus is still to restore functionality.

Of course functionality is more important, and these things always take more time than expected. Volunteer time at that. Thanks for the time and effort!

Tim, may I suggest to change the background color(s) if possible into something more eyesight-friendly, like some warm-hues distant from the blue light radiation.

Right now it's apparently emitting more blue-light radiation than the previous version.

I am fairly certain there was a "view new content" button yesterday, but its gone today (to show all new forum posts only).  This is a critical site feature.  Am I the only one not seeing this now?  I tried logging out and back in, didn't make a difference.

1 hour ago, Gordo said:

I am fairly certain there was a "view new content" button yesterday, but its gone today (to show all new forum posts only).  This is a critical site feature.  Am I the only one not seeing this now?  I tried logging out and back in, didn't make a difference.

You are correct. That feature was on the top AND bottom of the page - and where Saul suggested (Activity) which is at the top too.

I did remove it from the top (the code is just commented out - nothing is deleted) along with what they call 'breadcrumbs' :

(house icon) Home > Forums > Chitchat > Forum Upgrade (!)               () Unread Content  () Mark site read

Those are still visible at the page bottom.

10 hours ago, mccoy said:

Tim, may I suggest to change the background color(s) if possible into something more eyesight-friendly, like some warm-hues distant from the blue light radiation.

Right now it's apparently emitting more blue-light radiation than the previous version.

I'll keep that suggestion in mind (warmer hues). It may be that some RGB hex color codes can be swapped easily enough, RGB --> BGR (light blues become light reds).

It may not be 'warm', but a 'dark theme' was added and enabled for all users (logged in or not) - "Extra Dark" (modified from a free, downloaded theme) ... not too much blue.

This is at the bottom, middle. It could use a little more contrast in some areas and I'm not sure if the color/font choices are optimal for a white-on-black theme.

Archived