Any Downside for One Big Meal per Day?

michael55m

The biggest potential downside I see is the impact on sleep (which in turn is critically important for excellent health). Some recent studies have shown that for optimal sleep you want your last food consumption to be around 3-4 hours before expected time of sleep onset. If your sleep doesn’t seem to be impacted then it’s probably fine, but another consideration is nutrient absorption- some have emphatically stated that the human body cannot optimally absorb nutrients when all the days food is consumed in one meal.

What are you eating that causes the reported weight gain? Have you tried using chronometer or MyFitnessPal Calorie tracking apps? If not, you should give that a try. Also eat more nuts and no junk food (stick to whole foods), you will lose the excess weight.

Thank you all for your reply.

I've been on this single daily breakfast for 3 days and it goes well for me. I don't even feel much hungry at night. Maybe I ate too much in the past.

In addition to weight control, I find this single breakfast can free me much time to do useful things during the day. 

Science Daily has an article https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180831130131.htm Eating in 10-hour window can override disease-causing genetic defects, nurture health

Although the original focus was mice with defective internal clocks, the benefits seemed to apply to normal mice as well.

"As we age, our circadian clocks weaken. This age-dependent deterioration of circadian clock parallels our increased risk for metabolic diseases, heart diseases, cancer and dementia.

But the good news, say the researchers, is that a simple lifestyle such as eating all food within 10 hours can restore balance, stave off metabolic diseases and maintain health.

The lab next plans to study whether eating within 8-10 hours can prevent or reverse many diseases of aging, as well as looking at how the current study could apply to humans. Their website, mycircadianclock.org, allows people anywhere in the world to sign up for studies, download an app and get guidance on how to adopt an optimum daily eating-fasting cycle."

On 8/29/2018 at 11:23 AM, michael55m said:

Hi,

I've been on two vegan meals per day for years but still become fatter and fatter.

So what's the downside if I just have one big vegan breakfast per day?

How many calories do you get from those meals? Weight loss is pretty basic, if you consume more calories than you use then they will likely be stored as fat. Apart from that there's some metabolic manipulation such as changing the calorie type you consume and so on. But first of all I'd look into your basic calorie intake. If you just end up consuming the same amount that is already making you fat in one meal than in two then there's no difference in the end.

Up to now, the single breakfast works fine and I start to loss weight.

I didn't use chronometer before because lots of food I eat are native to China and the calories might not be accurately measured from those apps. And also because I am lazy. :-)

I just eat Lots of vegetables, some black soy, different kinds of nuts and beans, raw sweet potato and flaxseed oil, together with a little supplements (Multi-vitamin, VB12, VD3...).

Thank you maccoy for your reply. I actually overcome the hunger problem by eating Lots of fiber and drink lots of water. Strange, I am more energized these days. Maybe my body shifts to partial ketogenic state every afternoon, so I keep lossing weight these days. I plan to cut down on starchy food and increase flaxseed oil intake.

On 9/12/2018 at 8:54 PM, michael55m said:

After some research,  I decide to use ground flax seed instead of the oil.

If you are looking for a source of ALA,  camelina oil is an interesting alternative.

https://www.crsociety.org/topic/12378-it-ain’t-easy-eating-greens-evidence-of-bias-toward-vegetarians-and-vegans-from-both-source-and-target/?tab=comments#comment-21549

https://oilhealthbenefits.com/camelina-oil/

http://www.trnres.com/ebook/uploads/contentlipids/T_1387191044LP A84.pdf

• Omega-3 ( Alpha – Linolenic Acid ) is 35 %
  • Omega- 6 ( Linoleic Acid ) is 17 %
  • Omega-9 ( Oleic Acid ) is 17 %

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[...] Camelina oil is very resistant to both rancidity and oxidation. It has an amazing shelf life of about 18 months and even up to 24 months.

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:47 AM, michael55m said:

I was diagnosed with a 5mm*4mm gallbladder polyp about a week ago.

The issue might be due to my long-term 2-meal a day habit and worsened by the recent one meal a day weight loss diet. I start to take lecithin, taurine and some Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs.

Who did suggest it to you that IF may cause gallbladder problems? Valter Longo says something about it if I'm not wrong.

3 hours ago, mccoy said:

Who did suggest it to you that IF may cause gallbladder problems? Valter Longo says something about it if I'm not wrong.

That's just my own educated guess. Bile is released by gallbladder to help digest (fatty) foods every time we eat. Intermittent Fasting means the concentrated bile needs to stay in the gallbladder for prolonged time so I reckon it might increase the risk of getting gallbladder polyps. IF people who are deficient in lecithin and taurine might be at particular risk.

My bilirubin level is also a little bit elevated but the transaminase level is fine.  I am wondering if other vegan IF people encounter similar issues.

Archived